SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-20-2003 11:32 PM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

5200 does not stand up well to oil, so you might use (3M) ''101'' instead.
12-20-2003 03:55 PM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

Thank you for all the replies, I have mounted several transducer in the past to the hull of my boats, But there are no flat spots on this boat. what I was realy asking was if Epoxy reson would brack down PVC or Poly carbon. For the person wonting to use the transom mount transducer go for it it will work. I have nerver like using silacone for the job but have always used a thikent Epoxy. On one boat I even built a dam about 3/8 high so I could ajust slightly for the hull shape. it worked will. I like the 5200 Idea and think I will use some 6" pvc pipe with 5200 to hold it. Will let you know how it turns out.
12-19-2003 08:44 AM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

Yes, I mounted a "transom transducer" inside with no problems. You might try this trick, I had a relatively flat spot to mount the transducer. I used Silicon sealant, mounded it up making sure there wer not air pockets then gently pushed the transducer into the silicon and supported it in a vertical position for 24 hours until the silicon had set up. It worked perfectly. The hull was more than 3/8" thick where I mounted it and sloped about 30 degrees. This is a neater solution then constructing a container for oil. Good luck.
12-19-2003 07:12 AM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

What is the difference between an "IN HULL" transducer and an "OUTSIDE THE HULL" transducer? I recently bought a transducer and depth meter at a swap meet. It has a bracket on the transducer that is meant to be attached to the transom. Do you think it is possible this could be mounted inside the hull?
12-18-2003 09:18 AM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

I too have the WestMarine transducer and hull mount. The sleeve comes with a rotating angled piece so the transducer can be pointed straight down.

I stuck the sleeve to the hull with 3M 5200, filled it up with mineral oil, and have had no problems in three years.
12-12-2003 05:05 PM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

Rather than using vegetable oil you should use mineral oil. Other than that, what you have outlined is pretty much the way it works. It does have to be aimed through an area that is solid fiberglass, though, and will not work on cored hull boats (boats that have balsa wood in the hull) since that would aim the transducer signal through air and that won''t work. Before you invest be sure that the hull is solid fiberglass.
12-07-2003 11:35 AM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

The type of transducer you are speaking of is called an "in-hull" as opposed to a "thru-hull". The in-hull transducers can be purchased for around $70 at West Marine for one. They come with a suitable mount ready to epoxy/glue to the hull.

If you need a transducer that is probably the best way to go. If you already have a transducer, and just want to mount it, you can make a suitable mount/container out of PVC pipe.

One thing to be aware of is if your hull is cored in the area you wish to mount the transducer, you must cut out the core material so the transducer is "looking" through a solid laminate material.

Mineral oil is the usual liquid used to couple the transducer signals to the hull.


12-06-2003 05:14 PM
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

On a previous boat that I owned, the previous owner had adhered a round acrylic container to the bottom of the hull. it had a complete top on it and suspended in it was a transducer, it was in vegetable oil and seamed to get a pretty good lock on the bottom.
By using this cylinder you could point the transducer strait down and not at an angle with the hull. I am considering doing this with my present boat, Dose any one have any ideas on where or what I might find the materials. If it is acrylic will epoxy brake it down. What might work.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome