SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Documentation Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-21-2004 02:59 PM

Final Note: Applied for transfer in mid-December, just got call from document service saying they tried to mail to me & was returned, can''t seem to make people understand that PO box is my address, post office can''t get to my house to deliver. Also found FAQ page for CG doc. center should any more questions arise.
03-27-2004 11:33 AM

Applied for documentation in August 2003, just received back in early March. Was handled by documentation company and was told when I inquired in October the delay was due to new procedures and computer systems at USCG. Problems had caused significant backlog, so would suggest you file for US documentation well in advance of when you expect to be leaving.
03-23-2004 09:05 PM

Then you can...
1. Contract with a mail forwarding service and give that address to the USCG if documenting, or
2. Do something similar with a reliable friend of family member (who isn''t going to move on you...) if documenting, or
3. Do state registration after talking with your county Tax Collector, since CA is notorious for encumbering boat owners with annual tax bills even tho'' the boat is outside the country...but you''ll still need to get our occasional registration renewal using one of the two methods above

I suggest you ask around to learn how Mexico feels about foreign yachts with only State registration, since Mexico is your (first) likely foreign destination. Some countries have a problem with that form of ownership proof.

03-23-2004 02:28 PM

Was advised that physical address required by documentation service, I have one but the Post Office doesn''t deliver in my village so PO is my normal address. Also state registration not required in California on Documented Vessel, one or the other.
03-22-2004 07:36 AM

LOL.... thanks Jack, we certainly don''t intend to flaunt customs with blatent disrespect. We''ll fly the British Ensign when we''re ''foreign''.... why? because I''m British! anyway, we''ll document in either the US or the UK so there''ll be no ''deceit as such.
Thanks again ~ Chris
03-22-2004 07:28 AM

i recently renewed my registration with a PO Box as an address, and it was rejected. Hed to put down the address of the marina where I was at, but fortunately you can keep the PO Box as a mailing address. Here in Hawaii, you don''t have to have a Hawaii state registration if your boat is USCG registered, but some states require a state registration if it''s the boat is there for anu length of time.
03-22-2004 06:22 AM

Chris, it''s good to hear that you found the discussion helpful. Good luck with the registration...and with cruising.

One last comment: When going foreign in a boat, there can be quite a variance between theory and reality, between the letter of the law back home and how the world works ''out there''. I don''t envy you the first time you are flying a (e.g.) Canadian flag and (e.g.) French authorities arrive on your boat for a drug search, look at your papers and discover you are (e.g.) British registered. The flag you fly is often what officials in distant ports key off of and, in any event, will instantly want to understand why you fly a flag that is deceiving to them. I wonder what you''d say? If it''s the observation that you get to fly whichever flag you wish, independent of your vessel''s registration, you''ll be in for a bit of an education.

03-21-2004 12:56 PM

I applied for Documentation for our C-42 early December. Had the broker check on it a couple of weeks ago, they told him they are currently running 4 1/2 months behind. problem is they are Federal and have only one office doing all the work.

03-21-2004 07:46 AM

Thank you everyone for your reponses. We have learned a few things from this discussion, some amusing, some pertaining to our original question and some informative.

Here''s a summary of what we now know as a result of this thread and elsewhere:
1. We are not required to document or state register(no fixed abode) although it would be prudent to do one or the other.
2. To document in the UK is the least expensive option by far at 12 GBP, or in the US for around $150 one time fee.
3. We can document in the UK because I''m a British national.
4. We can document in the US because my wife is a US citizen.
5. We can fly whatever flag we choose (our choice will most likely be the UK ensign) regardless of where we document, as there is no law pertaining to flags, only customs and etiquette (Some people may be surprised by this situation).

If nothing else, we''ve learned that it''s not such a complicated, nor expensive proceedure to get the necessary ''papers'' together for our boat and new cruising lifestyle. ~ Chris

03-21-2004 05:45 AM

To document a boat in the US you must have an address!!! Maybe a PO box will be enough. I would also expect that the state of the address on the documentation will expect that you register your boat in their state. Also you must have a port of record. Though the port of record is not required to be the same as your address. When we retire we''ll probably use my brother''s address for documentation and registration purposes. I was told that you need some claim to a state to register your boat there. Such as that''s where you vote,driver''s license ,family lives there, last owned a house there. But if your driver''s license is from south carolina and your boat is documented in North Dakota and state registration is New York inquiring minds might ask questions. Especially if you have been living on the boat in Florida for six months.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome