|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|06-05-2009 01:40 PM|
|badsanta||Keep this alive. I would love to still do this trip. But still having trouble getting out of the marina. Hopefully just delayed|
|06-05-2009 11:11 AM|
|06-05-2009 10:02 AM|
|brokesailor||Did the trip ever happened? If so can you submit a trip report?|
|05-20-2009 07:19 PM|
I should add that for those that do not want to go over-night, Ocean City...
Originally Posted by wwilson View Post
I guess I'm just never in enough of a hurry to WANT to do it in one push. I sailed for days just to get there.
|05-20-2009 03:53 PM|
I second PDQs very good advise.
We did it last year (clockwise) in early June. Listen to NOAA Wx and don't venture out in more than your comfortable with. Build in some Wx reserve. Under normal summer conditions the offshore portion is no lumpier than the Bay. The Delaware (our 8th transit) is characterized more by boredom than nastiness. The circumnav was a great adventure - not unexpectedly, the best of it was back within the Chesapeake.
Organizing cruises = herding cats?
|05-20-2009 11:46 AM|
Don't give up on it, just go alone.
It is a wonderful trip, and with caution, there is no reason any size boat cannot make the trip safely. Maybe it's safer, as you can pick your windows according to weather, not a group schedule. A crew of 2 should be pleanty for most boats. It's been done in a kayak, a row boat, and a number of small sail boats. A friend of mine is starting in a few weeks in an 18' sailing dingy, but that is more adventure than most would invite. I talk some about my trips on my blog, below.
We're going to go again this year, and for the first time my wife will be joining me. That last boat was a bit too spartan, I think.
|05-16-2009 07:11 PM|
I am going to have to post-pone also. Wife can't get leave to go. I am so busy at my shop now I can't take the time off for me and and one of my crewmembers is an employee. Hopefully before end of summer. If anyone is stopping near Solomons let me know we can raft up for the evening.
|05-16-2009 07:01 PM|
Is anyone going? Just would like to know so we don't have to worry about the originally planned stops. We have a full crew (max 4), and plan to leave next Saturday. Let me know.
|04-28-2009 03:11 PM|
I must also cancel for this year, or at least in may. Just don't have the leave available to take off. However, Herrington Harbour sailing association is planning a trip later in the season, depending on the dates I may be able to take off then.
Midlife, If I don't do the down the bay race, I'm debating on weather or not to sign up for southern bay race week. Should be a good time, 3 days of racing, and its $30 cheapers.
|04-28-2009 02:41 PM|
I'm officially throwing in the towel on a Delmarva trip in May. As of today my boat is still not in sailable condition and there is now way I'd have time to do the shake down and training sails to feel ready to make the trip in May. The suprise maintenence expenses that have held me up this year have also put a serious dent in the funds that would be available for the trip as well.
Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I may try to assemble a crew and do the trip late in the season. Otherwise, it remains a goal for another year.
If I'm invited, I'm thinking I will crew for the "Down the Bay Race" as a partial consolation for missing out on this adventure. Good luck to all that participate and thanks for inspiring me to pursue this goal over the past few months.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|