|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|01-14-2009 01:20 AM|
|camaraderie||Good plan...thanks for the update!|
|01-13-2009 11:47 PM|
I want to thank you all for your advice. It really has helped and I have heeded...sorta..HA
We went down to the Keys and I saw the boat for the first time. I stood there like a 10 year old boy that snuck into the strip club. She is beautiful!!! Needs some love, but beautiful! We had some overheating issues with the engine that I only discovered by doubling the lines to the pier and and engaging the transmission and letting it run under a load for a while. Combining that with the funky weather this time of year, we decided to spend the holidays there on the boat, going through it with a fine tooth comb and correcting everything that we can find. She is pretty much ready to go. I need to work on the ground tackle a bit and replace the jib, which I have, just need to hang, and I would be comfortable taking her home.
We are thinking that this spring (April-ish) will be better weather and warmer for a trip up the coast.
|11-29-2008 06:50 PM|
I'm sure you're focussed on getting ready for the trip. But if you have time, it would be worth your while to read the attached accident report/article. Many of the circumstances are similar to your plans (e.g., new boat, bad time of year, outside short-cuts, etc) -- so read this as a cautionary tale and learn from their mistakes:
BoatUS.com - Seaworthy Magazine
P.S. Thanks to Btrayfors, whose recent mention of the Morning Dew in another thread reminded me that I had intended to post this ink here.
|11-24-2008 10:45 AM|
Originally Posted by tojaso View Post
Glad you're home safely. Thanks for your service.
I really want to urge you to stay within the ICW if the boat proves ready and you undertake this trip. During the winter season, regardless of the forecast, it would be unwise to "shoot out in the event of good weather." Conditions can change very rapidly during winter, and even in the very best of conditions the water can be dangerously cold if anyone ends up overboard.
Transitting the ICW in an unfamiliar boat will be challenge enough at this time of year. Don't press your luck outside.
|11-24-2008 03:26 AM|
Is this the green Colvin made with (if I recall) Corten steel that was on Yachtworld for a long time?
Nice looking boat, but not a beginner's vessel. The complexities of the gaff rig, the semi-unknown state of the engine, the fuel in the tanks, the gunk in the tanks, the state of the running rigging (was the boat unmasted or have those lines been static in the Florida sun for two years), the state of the sails, etc.
All unknown, or "under" known, maybe.
The trip is a big enough task to complete at this time of the year, but the inspection and the test sail(s) to determine what's rotten or finished or needs attention are going to take an unknown amount of time.
If it were me, I would arrange storage on land in Florida, but I would spend my time off sailing it in Florida (where the winter weather will still break things, but at least it's warmer.)
Because I think to take a boat that maybe saw many underused and underserviced seasons (owned by an old man, right?) no matter what its inherent other qualities (and they may be many) into winter weather of that ambition is not a sound idea.
Many little old ladies own rust-free 1988 Chrysler New Yorkers that they drive 1,500 miles a year to and from the cat clinic and the bingo. Manny down at the garage probably gets fifty bucks for checking their tire pressure, doing an oil change and cleaning their battery posts.
You are proposing taking that little old lady's car from the bingo parking lot directly into a trans-Mojave Desert road rally.
|11-23-2008 10:49 PM|
|tojaso||Thank you all so much...|
|11-23-2008 08:57 PM|
|KODAD||Welcome home!---You guys over there really make us proud---Good luck!|
|11-23-2008 09:52 AM|
|sailingdog||Good luck... and keep us posted.|
|11-23-2008 07:40 AM|
I finally made it home.... woohoo...Fellas, Thanks SO much for the great advice. You all are the greatest. I think the ICW is the way to go and shooting out in the event of good weather. I would much prefer to wait till spring, It would make the trip a thousand times more enjoyable, however I will be in training all spring preparing for our next deployment, and I will not get that much time all at once to do the move.
The boat has sat only about 3 months before I bought it. The previous owner lived aboard the boat with his father till he was 18, then went to college. His father passed away 2 years ago and he moved back aboard and lived there till about 3 months before I bought it. I have pictures of the boat underway from July 08. The Isuzu Diesel was rebuilt about a year ago. My wife, while I was deployed, went down and looked at her. Hers being the final "Yes I will live on that" or "no way find another one." Although she is not as nautically inclined as I am, she has a great eye for things that don't look right and she was satisfied that this would be a great home. I know that is different from being seaworthy, but I also know her. If there was anything majorly screwey going on, she would have known. When my leave starts, we will head down there and start the pre-underway checks, make final runs to boaters world and the like to get extra fuel filters and last minute doodads and take her out for a day sail to make sure that everything is going to work before we push off for the trip. That final go-round will be the deciding factor. Again thanks for all the help...
|11-19-2008 09:24 PM|
|sailaway21||I'd probably go ICW as well. Think of it as a shake down cruise. Something's going to break...always does on an unfamiliar boat.|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|