SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Can't remember what this part is called Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-13-2009 06:39 PM
sailingdog Jas—

If your boat has a deck stepped mast, a good way to mount turning blocks is to add a plate or ring to hold the blocks to the mast base.
05-13-2009 11:23 AM
jaschrumpf "Turning blocks" is what I was misremembering. All the suggestions sound good, too.

Thanks for all the responses.
05-13-2009 09:53 AM
JohnRPollard JA,

I would go with "turning blocks". Scheafer, Garhauer, Harken, Ronstan all make nice examples. SailNet sells some:

Turning Blocks

Also, hard to tell from your avatar photo, but it looks like you already have one line coming back to the cockpit, port and starboard? If so, I think it would be worth getting the deck organizer (rather than cheek blocks), and possibly a double rope clutch or two. You don't have to purchase it all at once -- but map it out so you don't have to backtrack later.

Deck Organizers

If you go with the deck organizer, I would suggest getting a size that leaves you with an extra sheave -- in case you decide to run another line aft later (outhaul, topping lift, slab reef line???)
05-13-2009 09:00 AM
camaraderie or cheek block.
05-13-2009 08:46 AM
svHyLyte Turning blocks.
05-13-2009 08:25 AM
Can't remember what this part is called

Currently my main and jib halyards are at the mast and are cleated off there. I'd like to run the halyards to the cockpit to make singlehanding easier, and while I can visualize the parts I need I can't remember what the name of one of them them is.

What is the name of the block that would be attached to the base of the mast to turn the halyard through 90 deg from vertical to leading across the deck? To make the next turn I'd just use an organizer, or even just a cheek block since I only have one line on each side of the mast.

Does that sound right?


Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome