SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Our Delivery Trip, Connecticut to Maryland (LONG with PICS) Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-09-2009 09:31 PM
T37Chef Really enjoyed reading your posts...looking forward to the rendezvous
07-22-2009 07:34 PM
Freesail99 Very well done, thanks for the report.
07-22-2009 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Great post Jos, we need to get together soon for a brew...or two.

Yes we do! Looking forward to a raft-up...
07-22-2009 05:33 PM
mgmhead Great post Jos, we need to get together soon for a brew...or two.

07-22-2009 05:23 PM
Nice report

Thanks for the recap! See you on the Bay!!
07-22-2009 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by SVlagniappe View Post
Great Post! Thanks for sharing.

Since you have a SPOT, go to Spot Adventures and set up a free account linked to your spot account. You can post the pictures that you have here (and more) and it will show them along the track. Pretty cool stuff for free!

Again, great post.
Thanks! We actually borrowed the SPOT, though we were just given one as a gift (after the trip). I'll definitely check out the link...
07-22-2009 05:02 PM
josrulz What I learned

Well, I learned a lot! It had been almost 10 years since my last offshore/coastal passage, and my first as the skipper of my own boat. These lists are sort of random, and we didn't make any huge mistakes (thankfully), but I thought it might be useful to think through it.

Some mistakes...

- I could've waited a few more weeks to bring the boat home, and had a little warmer, more pleasant weather. On the other hand, that choice could have resulted in sunny skies, but blowing like snot out of the SW! Still, there was less urgency to get her home than I probably felt inside.

- We should have planned better for locations where we could refuel, etc. Although it ended up not being a huge problem, we spent a great deal of time trying to locate a marina that a) had diesel fuel, and b) was OPEN.

- Time probably didn't allow for this in reality, but I would have preferred to rebed all the deck hardware and chainplates before the trip. We did have some water coming into the boat in some spots, in addition to all the water we brought in ourselves. It was not unsafe, and I don't believe any actual damage was done. But more dry = more comfortable.

- I should have started looking for spare diesel jugs earlier in the process. Those that we bought, which are the very common, widely available sort, we got just before departure. They have the safety nozzles which keep them from venting, but make it nearly impossible to refill on the go. We had to top off our tank underway in the ocean. I'll just say this really was impossible without either spilling diesel or modifying the nozzle. Either option is bad.

- This is more of a purchase thing, but I should have known that just about any project that we didn't get done before launch would not get done until next year. We've been sailing Valinor so much that we've had no time to work on her. This is a good thing! But it was unrealistic to think we'd have "all this time" to get more projects done at home.

- Should have noticed that the stove had no pot holders (or whatever you call them) mounted on it. It made cooking much more difficult because we had to practically hold the pot in place. The stove/oven is gimbaled, which helped.

Some things done right...

- We had good crew, all able to sail and navigate alone if necessary.

- The boat was pretty well prepared. We had two test sails beforehand as well, and discovered a few things during those. We had plenty of provisions with hot and cold food, easy to prepare (or just eat right away).

- We chose the best route for the conditions, via NYC. That gave us a 1-day shakedown as well, before heading out into the ocean. The freshwater leak we had would've been much more nerve-wracking if we were already at sea when we thought we had a hull leak.

- We used a preventer at all times off shore. The boom stayed still even when we rolled, and didn't load up the rig too much.

- Harnesses and PFDs at all times. We were religious about it.

- Hot water at watch changes to top off the thermoses. Coffee, oatmeal, hot soup--kept the crew warm and happy even though it was wet.

- While sailing down the coast, we gave ourselves plenty of searoom, while still remaining within striking distance of shore.

- We reefed early, and stayed reefed at night.

And other stuff I learned:

- The Sabre 34 is nicely balanced, and the hull shape makes for a pretty comfortable ride. Even on the wind, we had little weather helm.

- I've been sailing beamy, flat-bottomed boats for a good while, so the initial healing of this boat took some getting used to. However, she locks in after that initial heal and the motion is comfortable.

- The old clamcleats that held the traveler line were shot and should have been replaced before we left.

- Bonine, taken in advance of heading offshore, is your friend.

I'll probably think of a bunch of other stuff too. Looking back on this list, I think I'm missing most of the good stuff. But it's a start, and I hope it makes for an interesting read. For me personally, it helps me recap the trip and my thoughts along the way.

Thanks for "listening"!
07-22-2009 04:29 PM
bubb2 Great posts.
07-22-2009 04:20 PM
Leg 2 - Norfolk to South River

Leg 2

Valinor spent the remainder of the week in Norfolk, my crew went home, and I also went back to MD to work for a few days. My wife and step-son and I returned together on Friday, May 8, spent the night on the boat, and then departed Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we didn't take many pics, but here's a recap.

We found the boat in good order, and a couple of my crew had each come back to check on her multiple times during the week--Thanks guys!

We got a later start than we intended on Saturday morning. We didn't need any fuel because we topped off with our remaining jugs on deck. After settling up with the marina, here we are motoring out of the marina after 1130 on May 9.

The weather was much more agreeable, with Easterly winds at about 15-20. We were able to reach with a single reefed main, and make good speed. However, with the late start, we didn't get to our desired destination. We were shooting for somewhere north of Windmill Point, which would've been about 50 miles. Instead, we tucked into Jackson Creek, at Deltaville, MD, about 43 miles.

I had forgotten how tricky the entrance to Jackson creek can be (it's been 20 years), but we made it in OK and anchored in a beautiful spot. That evening we had some severe thunderstorms come through, with winds up around 35-40 inside the creek and spectacular lightning. Our new anchor held solid, even with multiple wind shift, so we slept well.

May 10 - Winds shifted to the North at about 20 knots, with 3 - 4 foot waves in short period--we call it the "Chesapeake Chop". It was dead on the nose, and we had somewhere to be. I hate that. Some boats that came out before us turned around to head back into Deltaville. We continued on, motorsailing of course straight into it, taking wave after wave of water over the bow for about 10 hours.

Valinor just plugged along though, and the ride was not too uncomfortable. I had worried that my step-son, who is not an experienced sailor, would just hate every second of it. Instead, he thought it was great, and still raves about the fun he had in the Chesapeake Chop! He and my wife stayed tucked underneath the dodger, so they were dry.

We stuck with it, and made 62 nautical miles that day, and tucked into Mill Creek at Solomons, MD, for the night.

May 11 - The wind shifted for the better, and even though it was a rainy again, we were able to sail about 60% of the time home to the South River. The trip was uneventful for the most part, and after the entire journey, the 45 miles home seemed pretty easy.

We even backed into the slip on the first try--don't know how! We unloaded the gear, and that night crashed hard into deep sleep.

Here's a pic of Valinor in her brand new slip, the morning after we arrived.

Sorry I don't have more pics of this leg, and we didn't have the SPOT with us this time either.

We were satisfied to have made it home safe and sound, with crew and boat intact. I was happy that my wife and step-son participated in the delivery of our new boat, and they were too.

Valinor had traveled over 530 nautical miles in a short period of time. Actually 6 days and two nights underway, all together. We learned a lot about the boat and her gear as well. Figured out what needed to be replaced right away, and what could wait.

I'll post a few learnings next.
07-22-2009 04:01 PM
alwheeler98 Thanks for posting!
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome