SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Living aboard in a different state. Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-11-2009 11:13 AM
scottyt loaf as others have said do the car too. you have IIRC 90 days to register it for "free" then they make you pay taxes and get the car inspected.

i maybe wrong but i have heard the above before, being i am from this dam state i dont know for sure how it works

also on the tax on the boat they go off of the noterized bill of sale, which must include sellers names and sigs, the date and the price. make sure you put the hull number on the bill of sale. the price on the bill of sale is what you will pay 5% tax on. if the bill of sale says 2 grand you will pay a 100 bucks... get it
08-11-2009 07:56 AM
velero Make sure you register your car in MD as well. The tax man has people driving around appartment complex looking for folks w/o MD plates. Only military folks are allowed to keep their state of record plates but hey still have let the state know that they are residing in MD. Check tHe MD MVA for more info. V49
08-11-2009 07:30 AM
kd3pc Loaf

the MD tax can be quite high...around $3K for my 42 unless you can PROVE that you paid tax elsewhere, then it drops to a couple a grand yearly after that. Finding an affordable liveaboard marina that is commuting distance to your job (unless your job is in SoMd) can be the biggest challenge. YOu may do better trying to find liveaboard and tax friendly slips in VA, again the commute may take a toll.

Re: the tags and license...look in to getting them changed over too, MD does not like those arrangements, they have been known to cruise through apt complexes and taking tag numbers...

BEst of luck, at least you have a job.
08-10-2009 05:52 PM
scottyt maryland will want it registered here. they have the law if it will be here over 6 months they want the tax

make sure when you title the boat here, bring a notorized bill of sale, or they will blue book it for taxes.
08-10-2009 03:29 PM
Living aboard in a different state.

I am relatively new to the MD area having accepted a job in DC. I moved here from Ohio and still have a house and a wife in Ohio. The plan was that she would stay in Ohio until she could find a job here in the DC area.
Since I still have a house in Ohio I have been renting a 1 bdrm apartment and still have an Ohio driverís license and Ohio plates, since I still consider my residence to be in Ohio until the wife moves out here.
My question is registering a boat. I am thinking of buying a Catalina 30 with the intent of being a liveaboard for a year or so. I would be at a slip in MD. Do I need to have the boat registered in MD or can I get away with registering it in Ohio until I fully switch over to MD?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome