|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|11-08-2009 09:06 AM|
|JimsCAL||Getting the yard to do a "short haul" this time of year when they are at the peak of the winter hauling season may be the problem. Talk to them.|
|11-08-2009 05:52 AM|
Before having them make an offer, I would highly recommend you have them read and follow the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help them determine if this boat is worthy of further action.
If it is, they should base their offer on what the boat is worth minus what the estimated repairs will cost.... and make the offer contingent on passing survey and sea trial.
Faster's description of survey, sea trial, hauling and re-launching is a good idea... and I would seriously recommend waiting on bottom paint, as many kinds will not work well in the low temps you'll probably be dealing with.
Just curious, how much more expensive is dry storage for the boat. It might be worthwhile to pay for dry storage, so that any small projects you need done over the winter and into the early spring, like replacing seacocks, etc, can be done more easily.
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
|11-08-2009 12:56 AM|
On our last purchase we did sea trial, began the survey in the water, hauled 2 or 3 hours later, pressure washed, inspected, re zinced and splashed all on the same day - 5-6 hours all told.
We did not paint, it was a 'half-lift' remaining in the slings. So doing at least all that in one day should be feasible... painting in coolish temps is always questionable.
|11-07-2009 11:29 PM|
Boat buying plan
I'm advising a new boat owner on how to finesse a boat he wants to buy.
It is a Morgan 32 and seems to be in excellent shape although old.
It is current in a winter slip in CT so hear is my plan.
1. Make offer
2. Have surveyor survey boat in water and do sea trial.
3. Do quick haul out and have surveyor do hull and winterize seacocks
4. Do bottom paint
5. Put back in water for winter slippage
6. Move boat to cheaper dock in summer.
The two glitches in the plan is will the surveyor charge extra for two trips.
How bad of an idea is it to bottom paint in the spring rather than in the winter?
Will the weather hold so we can get this all done.
An advantage is that we can get started as early as we want in the spring.