SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP
 Not a Member? 


Thread: Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP Reply to Thread
Title:
  

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Topic Review (Newest First)
02-14-2010 06:19 PM
catamount Brick,

Jon Eisberg sailed from New Jersey to Maine in March several years ago. He wrote up an article about the trip that I think was published in Cruising World magazine (you might find it in on their website), and you might find some posts about it on CSBB -- http://cruising.sailboatowners.com/csbb/index.cgi

Of course, Jon is a very experienced offshore sailor.
02-14-2010 03:16 PM
JohnRPollard
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkscout View Post
...Sounds like getting to Florida is the first part of the elephant to chew... Get that under your belt and you're significantly closer- other options as previously mentioned might look more favorable/do-able/less costly....
Not necessarily. Going to Florida from the Abacos is the wrong direction if Maine is your destination.

If your boat is off-shore capable (i.e. equipped, etc), then the quickest way back to Maine is off-shore. But even if you don't want to go off-shore for the entire trip, you could save A LOT of time (weeks?) by jumping up to Beaufort Inlet (NC) vice going west and across to Florida.

I made the Abacos-Beaufort trip during the first week of April. We had great weather -- a bit chilly but not bad. If you could get the boat to NC, then you could move it north on a 2-week vacation, or probably for less money pay to have it trucked the remainder of the distance.

Of course, if your new employer doesn't mind you arriving in May, then keeping pace with the migration of springtime as you plod up the ICW would be a fine plan.
02-14-2010 11:03 AM
AlanBrown Brick,

A few years ago I was waiting in Marathon for a weather window to open so I could head over to Nassau. I waited the whole month of April and the wind never stopped howling. Finally, on May 1st I headed up the ICW on the west side of the Keys (out of the wind) to Biscayne Bay. Two days later the weather finally changed and winds shifted over to the south. I made an uneventful crossing.

Many hundreds of cruisers spend the winter in the Exumas. Their migration back to the States or Canada usually begins when the winter weather patterns start to dissipate. This can occur as early as April, but most likely will occur in May. The weather is the governing factor.

All this being said, it is entirely possible that you will find a decent weather window in March to make it back to FL. From there the ICW will provide a sheltered route north. It may take weeks of waiting before a window opens, so you'll have to be patient. If you try to push the envelope, Mother Nature will usually kick your ass.

In the meantime, whenever the weather calms down, move from TC to GTC to get "The Whale" out of the way. From there, pick your way over to GB, or make an overnight run back to FL if the weather looks like it will hold for a couple days..

Good luck and be careful!
02-14-2010 09:31 AM
BrickPearson26 I am going to have to agree with elkscout on this one. Just because it is snowing there now does not mean it is going to be snowing in a month or two. What I really want to know is how early people usually make the trip back north. Anybody have any personal experience?
02-12-2010 10:54 AM
elkscout You people make it sound like BrickPearson26 is going to be arriving back in the states within 48 hrs, which if that were the case, this thread wouldn't be happening. I'm not versed in how the Spring weather will be for sailing, but by then, I would think chance of major snow storm would be slim, referring mainly to geography South of Mason-Dixon. Sounds like getting to Florida is the first part of the elephant to chew (re: How do you eat a whole elephant? One bite at a time). Get that under your belt and you're significantly closer- other options as previously mentioned might look more favorable/do-able/less costly. From your posting and reviewing your "blog", I'd be incline to think you're more concerned about the cold weather and less about foul weather, at least where a level of comfort is concerned.

I am one who might be interested in purchasing your boat if you will at least get it to Florida should you decide to go that route, no pun intended.

Side note: technically, ASAP is an acronym, as we all know, that is used mostly these days incorrectly, as in "right now". What ever happened to it's original meaning- as soon as possible? In other words, if it ain't possible before May, then so be it.
02-12-2010 10:29 AM
BrickPearson26 I do like the idea of hiring a captain to bring the boat up for me BUT the problem is that my cruising kiddy is pretty much exhausted at this point, and I would prefer to use my remaining dollars to get myself situated back in the "real world" (e.g. rent an apartment, purchase appliances, furniture, etc.).
I agree that the ICW is very protected, and as long as a person is cautious with the sounds, they can be transited in almost any weather. However, I just read on CNN.com that Georgia is supposed to be getting a large snowstorm very soon, and that is something that I would prefer to avoid. I have made it this far without seeing snow, and I do not want to start now.
Right now I think that we are going to aim to be back in Florida by mid to late March and start poking our way north. My biggest concern is getting a large enough window to cross back over - right now we are getting hit with a front about every 3 days. Tonight they are forecasting 30-40 knot winds. I hope my 35lb. cqr holds. I guess I won't be getting much sleep.
02-12-2010 09:58 AM
WanderingStar All of the above makes sense. But you can cruise the ICW in some pretty strong conditions. If you get good weather windows back to Fl, you can steam a good way north in fairly protected waters. I brought my ketch up the ditch from Ponce de Leon to Charleston, all of Fl and Ga in a tropical depression. Some of those "sounds" are pretty choppy, but not unmanigable.
02-11-2010 06:51 PM
sailingdog I agree with ed... get up to the job ASAP...as there are probably a few others in line for it.

Why not see if you can leave the boat for a while and then hire someone to move it for you. If you were to get it to Florida at least, so that the delivery captain doesn't have to do a Gulf Stream crossing, then you might be able to do it for a reasonable price. You might be able to move it over a series of weekends as well, since stopping points along the east coast are fairly easy to find.
02-11-2010 06:34 PM
BrickPearson26 Storing the boat temporarily and picking it up in a couple months is not really an option. Seeing how I will just be starting this new job, it is going to be tough to get a 2 week vacation that soon after starting.
I view my options as either getting north a soon as i can, or selling the boat someplace further south. I would prefer not to sell the boat, for it is probably worth more to me than I can get for it money-wise, especially given the current used sailboat market.
But, I do realize that if they need me there sooner, I will be forced to sell the boat to get there in time. Is anybody in the market for a cruising-ready Pearson 30?
02-11-2010 12:55 PM
tommays Well

April tends to SUCK in the Long Island NY area in terms of its really windy with a good chance of snow early or a lot of rain

You have to get a lucky streak for it to be above 50 deg to even work on the boat till late in the month
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.