SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: OUPV Masters License question Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-16-2010 06:58 PM
klem Whether you need STCW depends on how big a license you want and what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is inland and near coastal stuff 100GT or smaller, you don't need it. I did my best to avoid it. Normally, I would suggest upgrading your license whenever possible but if you don't have a need for over 100GT near coastal, don't upgrade since you will need STCW unless you have already taken it for personal reasons. It isn't a bad course, it is just really expensive and time consuming.
02-16-2010 05:10 PM
tempest to my knowledge, STCW 95, is not required for a typical (OUPV) 6 pack license in the States.

But if you're contemplating any work overseas, or the carribean, STCW 95 Basic Safety training will be a requirement. Or as Redstripe states, any yachts that will visit foreign ports would likely require you have it. There are 3 day classes for under 200 ton...and 5 day classes for 200 ton and above. The classes I see are in Mobile, Jacksonville and a few other locations.
02-16-2010 03:53 PM
redstripesailor Yeah, you gotta get your STCW basic safety training. If you want to work any yachts that's a must have.
02-16-2010 10:23 AM
db27513 Thanks all for the feedback. Right now Im a layed off 50 year old IT guy trying to reinvent myself into something I love doing. OUPV is first step. Been looking into the Maritime Academies, but they seem focused on younger students.. So something in between.. STCW 95 maybe..

Dave in New Bern NC
02-16-2010 07:34 AM
tempest The coast guard has a formula for what tonnage they give, based on the amount of time spent on the vessel.

Remember that this is Gross tonnage..( carrying capacity, a volume measurement ) not the weight of the vessel....there are calculators for this online

I believe....1 day above 25 gt will get you a 50 gt ton license...but the jump up to 100 gt tons requires ...I believe 180 days.....don't shoot me if I'm wrong on can look it up on their website! it's in the CFR...somewhere in 46 CFR

You have to be actively engaged in the operation of the being a cook doesn't qualify...who know how that happened?

falsifying time served is a serious offense..something like 5 years imprisonment and $5,000 fine.
02-16-2010 07:05 AM
redstripesailor if you want to go for higher tonnage licenses you need to get your able seaman ticket and then sail on that. once you get 1080 days on a larger boat ( > 200 GRT) and take about five months and $25,000 worth of classes you'll be able to sit for your 500 GRT masters or 1600 GRT mates. with the new USCG reg and STCW requirements if you want an unlimited ticket your best option is to go to a maritime academy.
02-15-2010 10:54 PM
jrd22 My experience was with 5 and 11 gross ton vessels and they gave me a 50 ton license. Not sure what formula they use. Good luck on the test.
02-15-2010 08:15 PM
klem Regarding taking the test, I have always filled out the highest tonnage possible (in your case 100) when doing an upgrade then let them decide what to give me.

The tonnage requirements are staggered by tonnage and number of days so you can often get a higher tonnage if you put in enough days. There is no requirement that you are captaining a vessel to get sea time, you just have to be actively involved in the vessel's operation. I actually know a cook on a vessel who has a license but does not know the first thing about actually running it. Pretty scary to me but those are the rules.
02-15-2010 07:50 PM
OUPV Masters License question

Im getting ready to take my OUPV test in a couple days. Ive got all the sea time I need for the standard inland license as I own my own boat (360 days since 15 years of age, 90 of those days in the last 3 years).

I want to get my Masters inland license with 25, 50 or 100 tonnage, but I believe they award you tonnage ratings by whats called "recency experience", meaning what you have gained your most recent experience on.

This begs the question (at least for me) how do you get a Captains experience (like steering) on a high tonnage vessel, before you have the credentials to actually steer & command? If Im a deck hand, for 3 years, pass the test, then I can just step up to the bridge the day after, and take command? Im missing something here..

Dave in New Bern NC

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome