|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|03-02-2010 10:14 PM|
Just something to think about.
If you are going to sit out another season why not move your boat over to Port Lavaca? Cheaper and they do let liveaboards. You would have access to the gulf and less ship and barge traffic.
I would be willing to crew for you. I own my own boat smaller than yours but also have crewed on a 41'er.
You can drop me a PM if interested.
|02-24-2010 06:12 AM|
|gofishin||Tanny, I'm currently on the East Coast, heading West next week for 2 weeks and could possibly meet you if you are in Tx. or vicinity. Thanks , Todd.|
|02-24-2010 06:09 AM|
|gofishin||Sailingdog, thanks for the input in response to my post concerning the Gulf crossing, Tx.-Fla. I did this trip 3 yrs ago, December, direct, via a short jog south before setting course Easterly for K.W., anticipating the g.s. loop, winds, and platforms and encountered prevailings, mostly, for that time of year according to relative pilot charts. I've over 70k sea miles, mostly under sail, lots of experience fitting out boats for extended cruising, crossings and with crew and owners with little or know experience. Good to see experienced sailors offering input and cautions, much appreciated and again Thank you. Todd I|
|02-23-2010 07:47 AM|
It might be wise if you read the entire thread. The OP has re-thought his crossing from Galveston to the VI. In his last post he wrote that he was going to spend some time in Texas working his way up from daysailng to coastal cruising in order to gain experience, improve his skills and familarize himself with his new-to-him boat.
Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
|02-23-2010 06:50 AM|
Hi Tanny, I'm interested in joining you on your cruise to the Virgin Islands, I have made the trip there from Seabrook, Tx. via the Fla. Keys, Bahamas, Out Islands, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic and P.R., and numerous others. Your schedule sounds doable though pre-planning and preparation for me are essential. If you still need an experienced, available skipper let me know and I'll forward refs. etc. Fair winds, Todd
|02-22-2010 07:54 AM|
Glad to help... don't like to see anyone become a statistic or lose their boat if it is avoidable.
Your initial plan makes a lot more sense, and you will learn a lot more about your boat and knowing your boat will give you a lot more confidence in her...
The forecasting for hurricanes is pretty good nowadays and if you have decent insurance, they'll usually pay to haul the boat for a big storm. I'd point out that you'll probably want to be somewhere other than Galveston if a hurricane is due, since Galveston has no high ground..
|02-21-2010 07:00 PM|
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. You've given me much to think about.
My initial plan was to spend a year in the Galveston area in a slip - making a series of graduated trips culminating in a return sail to Key West.
But the hurricanes have me worried.
I thought that getting out of the Gulf and into the leewards as quickly as possible might be a better plan.
I realize I have much to learn, and the last thing I want to do is head out to sea without a plan and without the necessary skills.
I'm leaning back toward my initial plan. I have to take some time to learn the ropes. Maybe sitting out any hurricane in Galveston Bay area would be more desirable than rushing things at sea.
So now - i guess I'll have to pay the Texas Taxes so that I can stay there for longer than 30 days!
Thanks again for your reply!
|02-21-2010 06:31 PM|
Originally Posted by Tanny View Post
The trip is going to be at least 2200 nm and will take at least three weeks. If you go the coastal route along the northern Gulf of Mexico, you're going to increase the distance quite a bit. Also, the northern edge of the Gulf of Mexico is fairly shallow and has a lot of traffic as well as oil platforms and such to dodge, not all of which are marked or lit clearly.
The two problems you'll run are:
First, the prevailing winds are typically E-SE. This means you'll probably end up motoring most of the way, as you'll be going almost dead upwind for much of it. One way to avoid this is to sail south from Galveston and then turn east, however, this greatly increases the distance you'll have to travel.
The second is the loop current that sometimes sets up in the Gulf of Mexico. This current is a clockwise rotating eddy that splits off from the southerly current that normally comes into the eastern end of the Gulf of Mexico. If the loop current is in the wrong place, it can work against you quite a bit, especially if you end up with a westerly current into an easterly wind....
A good thread for you to read is this one, which discusses crossing the Gulf of Mexico from Texas to Florida.
If you do decide to do this trip, one thing you could do is break it down into two sections. This would allow you to take a break and also might allow you more flexibility in arranging for crew, since each leg would be shorter. The first leg would be to get the boat from Galveston to Florida. The second would be to go from Florida to the Virgin Islands.
|02-21-2010 04:39 PM|
As far as I can tell, the boat is well equipped and capable of this trip. I am having the survey done next week and will likely purchase her. The surveyor has done a pre-view of the boat and is impressed with her condition.
She is equipped with a below deck autopilot as well as a windvane with a spare kit. The diesel is new with less than 100 hours. All the latest navigational equipment, solar panels and new battery banks. I'll have to get a certified lifeboat.
I'm not worried about the boat at all.
My experience on the other hand is limited to day sailing when I was in university 35 years ago, and an Ocean Sailing and Navigation course I'm taking in April this year in the USVI.
That's why I need someone who has done this trip before to help me. It's just 30'. Any more than two people on this boat, who don't really know each other that well, will be a bit crowded - no quarter berth - only a vee-berth and convertible salon. I think two people should be able to handle this boat. Am I wrong?
If I have to pay someone, I will - but I have a budget. I would prefer finding someone who needs to get to the VI and is willing to crew for little or no pay. Am I dreaming in Technicolor?
Anyway - I'm not in any hurry. I just didn't want to be in prime Hurricane territory at the end of this coming summer.
Tell me I'm crazy!
|02-21-2010 11:33 AM|
Are you looking to hire someone to help you or for free help. There's a big difference between the two, and the people responding will generally have very different qualifications.
Also, there have been several threads about sailing in the GOM that you might want to research.
Finally, how well equipped/outfitted is the Baba Tashing. I am guessing that you just bought this boat from your other threads and that you may not realize whether the boat is in the condition to handle a voyage of this magnitude or not.
Doing this trip with just two people is going to be fairly rigorous. How much sailing experience do you have? Have you single-handed a boat this size for long periods of time—as that is what sailing this boat with just one crew is effectively going to require you to do.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|