|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|03-22-2010 06:50 PM|
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I went back and forth on this, and my yard strongly encouraged me not to do it for our application. The hull areas are flat, and the hull is of a thickness that can withstand the load. The main issue to me was the lack of through bolting, but my yard also convinced me that once the 5200 sets up, we won't be twisting those flanges by operating the handles. The cost to do the backing plates and through bolt setup was materially more expensive.
In the end, it was only one of a million compromises, but I'm comfortable with it, particularly considering where we were starting from.
|03-22-2010 06:26 PM|
|xort||Not sure, but from the pics, I don't see backing blocks on your thru hulls.|
|03-22-2010 05:56 PM|
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
|03-22-2010 05:18 PM|
These projects were on a hospital ship, I take it?
|03-22-2010 05:15 PM|
|redhead78||Hey Dan, might that be the gypsum conveyer I see in the backround? I recognize the tree behind you also. I have been wintering there for 20 years. My engine finally crapped so I am at Lockwoods Boat works in the Raritan Bay. I am usually over across from the canvas guy by the travel lift and Gas dock. Do you keep your boat there in the summer.|
|03-22-2010 02:00 PM|
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
|03-21-2010 10:53 PM|
|smackdaddy||Wow - nice work DG!|
|03-21-2010 10:50 PM|
|negrini||Dan, what genset you decided for ?|
|03-21-2010 09:50 PM|
|captbillc||great post with excellent pics dan. you did some great work there! bill c.|
|03-21-2010 09:27 PM|
Pix of Some Projects
We're closing in on completing a few upgrades, and figured I'd post a few pix:
1. We added a second fuel tank (37 gallons). Our cockpit lazertte is very large and runs the beam of the boat. We already sort of cut that in half by installing a generator in a sound shield. The new second fuel tank is amidship adjacent to the genset. Here's a pic (the project is not totally done yet, so forgive the fact that the locker is not so clean):
2. In order to select the tanks, we installed two three-way valves for the feed and return, labeled and mounted them on a panel, and installed it under the starboard aft cabin berth:
3. We also installed the Filter Boss system:
Here's a pic looking at the filter boss from our swim platform. Note that the hole in the transom you are looking through is where our liferaft locker is located, which obviously has been removed for this project. You also can see on the lower left the genset in the sound shield. To the left of the genset is the new fuel tank, but you can't see it in this pic.
Both our main engine and our generator are fed through the Filter Boss system. It's a bit like Chernobyl, but it ought to work.
4. In addition to the fuel tank and filtration system, we moved and upgraded three thru hulls. First, we moved the raw water intake for the air conditioning and created proper seacocks using a flange adaptor. We moved the thru hull only 6 or 8 inches or so, but previously it was right in the middle of a bilge compartment, where you really had to concentrate not to step on it if you are working on anything in that compartment, which happens to house the main sump. By moving the thru hull 6 to 8 inches, we put it under the a/c water pump, where you really have to try to step on it. Likewise, in the initial installation, Beneteau fitted an elbow directly to the thru hull, and the valve was inline after the elbow. I hated that, as it meant if the elbow cracked there was no way to stop the water from entering the boat. Now, as you can see below, we used a flange adaptor, added the valve right to that, put a t-fitting on the valve, ran the hose off the side "t" and plugged the top portion of the "t." This way, we still get to have the hose run at a 90 degree angle from the valve, and we can clear a clog if need be by removing the plug from the "t" fitting. Also, not sure it will come through in the pic, but just below the seacock is a circle that's slightly elevated from the rest of the area; that's where the old thru hull used to be:
5. Next, we moved the raw water intake for the engine. It used to be just forward of the engine, and it had the hose running over the top of the engine to the raw water strainer, which is mounted just aft of the engine. I found this an absurd installation. Not only was the run longer than needed, thereby potentially making it harder to clear a clog, but it was in the way running in front and on top of the engine. We moved the thru hull to aft of the engine, pretty much immediately under the raw water strainer. This has the additional benefit of allowing you to have the seacock right there in the event you need to work with the sea strainer. I'm actually posting two pics, one a close up of the valve, and one a little farther back to give some perspective:
6. Lastly, we moved the intake for the salt water washdown. This may have been the worst thought-out placement of them all. The boat has a very large deck locker forward, near the bow. Large enough that you need to climb a ladder down into the locker. It's a great space. The problem is that Beneteau saw fit to install the washdown thru hull right at the base of the ladder, so you risked stepping on it every time you climbed down the ladder. Moreover, I was always fearful of stowing an anchor, anchor rode or any other piece of heavy gear in there for fear that if it shifted in heavy weather it could break the valve and thru hull. Anyway, we moved it to underneath the sink in the forward head, along with the other head thru hulls:
The thru hull placement and lack of bona fide seacocks are the kinds of compromises you make with a production boat like this. Needless to say, we are in the process of remedying that. We have now swapped out all the below waterline valves save for the ones in the two heads. We'll get to those in due course too.
Happy Spring everyone!