|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|05-05-2010 07:36 AM|
I used zig-zag stitching because that stitching holds up better (than a straight stitch) on fabric that is stretching/contracting. I also was thinking that in my prior experience, a straight stitch on stressed fabric can be a weak point (like a line of perforations...TEAR HERE)
I did not see the shrinkage issue you mention, but then again, this was my first large project for the boat, so there was a big learning curve. The biggest was and still is the different techniques and strategies needed verses sewing quilts or clothing...
We're going to try a 4th lazy jack attachment point and see how that works. The mounting point for the lazy jacks on the mast are factory original; we'll see how other adjustments work before moving those. The original L J had only two attachment points on the boom, so the angles may not be good for what we're trying to do with the sailpack.
Here you can see the original configuration of Lazy Jacks:
|05-05-2010 04:42 AM|
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
VERY NICE Job on it! I noticed in some of the photos that you used a zig-zag stitch on many of the seams instead of a straight line. Did this help prevent the sewn cloth from 'shrinking' due to seam pucker? The article by Linda Moore mentions up to 3" of shrink over 18' of length. Did you have this issue or is it more of a machine tension adjustment problem?
|05-04-2010 02:06 PM|
|05-04-2010 01:46 PM|
I don't have a pic with me, but you can see it here:
YouTube - Doyle Stackpack with Tides Track
|05-04-2010 12:24 PM|
Can you post a picture of that additional material that pulls the cover flat against the sail? I'm having trouble visualizing it...
|05-04-2010 12:22 PM|
|jbondy||FWIW - We just installed the Doyle StackPack. In addition to the cover, it has additional material attached to the top edge of the cover and sewn above that to the sail so that when the sail is raised, the cover is pulled up flat along the foot of the sail. I raised the sail for the first time yesterday just to make sure all the lines were running free (the reefing line wasn't), but did not sail. I noticed when heading into the wind, the extra material billowed, which seemed to me would affect the flow of air across the foot of the sail. I didn't have the halyard fully tensioned, though, so maybe it won't be an issue. But I've got to say that putting the sail away went so quickly that I'm still feeling like I must've forgotten something. I was done too quick!|
|05-04-2010 11:23 AM|
I'm going to redo ours, too, at some point. Version 2.0 will include:
-Flap cover over zipper to reduce water coming in.
-Attachment points at mast and boom end to keep sailpack taut
-FOUR lazyjack attachment points instead of three to support the pack better
-Lazyjack attachments will be loops or something on the sailpack itself, not on the batten/pvc pipe. The current pvc pipe arrangement is not stiff enough to prevent sagging along the length of the sailpack.
-If I feel like it, maybe some blocks to have single line zipping/unzipping of the bag.
-Also considering mesh "windows" in the side of the sailpack to improve drainage and air flow.
And, the next one will be PURPLE
|05-04-2010 11:15 AM|
Thanks for the pics. It definately looks like a redo on my new sail cover!.......i2f
|05-04-2010 11:13 AM|
|norsearayder||i just got a riding sail from sailrite.it seems to be of good quality|
|05-04-2010 11:12 AM|
I made ours as two "slabs", each with their own bolt rope, slid into tracks riveted to the boom.
See pics at SailPack Construction Pictures
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|