SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  

Quick Menu
Boat Reviews  
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Marine Electronics
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Skeg Hung Rudder Question
 Not a Member? 

Thread: Skeg Hung Rudder Question Reply to Thread

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-18-2010 11:06 PM
Pub911 I have a Hughes 38 and the bottom of the skeg hung rudder wobbles in the shoe. Maybe I need one too - if I had one it's long gone. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

By the way, GREAT Profile Pic, Livia.
05-18-2010 12:08 AM
Livia Ours is delrin. Be careful if getting one fabricated - they absorb water and expand.
05-13-2010 09:59 PM
GaryHLucas Might be Delrin, but I'd use Nylatron (Molybedenum Disufide filled Nylon). A very tough self lubricating material commonly use to make wire rope sheaves on large cranes, and as wear pads between the sections of telescoping cranes. Did I mention it is cheap? McMaster Carr sells it.

Gary H. Lucas
05-13-2010 04:52 PM
reignmaker just checked the DuPont website....sure sounds like Delrin...Thanks
05-13-2010 03:39 PM
Captainmeme Delrin?
05-13-2010 03:23 PM
Skeg Hung Rudder Question

I have a Hughes 40, and I recently rebuilt the rudder. I am about to re-hang the rudder on the skeg, but I have a question about a component.

There is what appears to be some type of plastic 'washer' or spacer that was between the skeg shoe or gudgeon and the rudder shaft. The shaft sat on this disc and has been significantly worn, so it needs replacing. The question is anybody have any idea what type of plastic material this might be?

It is dark in color, almost like is has some graphite component, but flexible like nylon. Very dense, and hard wearing.

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) LLC 2000-2012

The store is owned and operated by a company independent of the forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.