|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|08-30-2010 10:05 AM|
Looks like you made the best of the worst stretch of weather all summer. I've been to Block over a dozen times and had some lousy weather, but nothing like what you experienced. Try going again. It's a magical place when the weather is nice.
|08-29-2010 10:42 PM|
|tweitz||Great report, but I won't encourage the admiral to read your blog; it would undo years of effort to encourage her to go on longer trips on the boat. Unfortunately my longer trips are limited to scaring up crew from time to time. Sounds like your boat and crew did very well under the adverse circumstances.|
|08-29-2010 11:57 AM|
|WanderingStar||Read your blog. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad it wasn't me! Loved the pics of the family on horseback.|
|08-29-2010 10:30 AM|
|WanderingStar||Thanks Barry, glad you had even a couple of good days. Sorry about your oars, my guess is that they washed out. Look all over the Sound for them. See you in the harbor.|
|08-29-2010 12:22 AM|
All Done - We Are Home
Brief update on my Block Island 'vacation'. It was very wet and very windy. So windy that we could not stay on the boat Monday or Tuesday night. Instead I rented two rooms at a hotel in town. I didn't even expect my boat to the in the slip Tuesday morning, it was that bad Monday night. Other than one snapped dock line, the boat survived fine.
The trip home was much easier and better than the trip to Block. We departed BI Thursday morning and sailed to Spicers Marina in Noank. The weather got better as the day went on and we actually sailed for a bit.
We sailed home Friday. It was long (50nm) but the weather was nice and we sailed for 1/2 the trip and motorsailed the rest (wind too forward to sail the rest).
When we made it home the dingy was still there, but it was 1/2 full of water and the oars and oarlocks were gone. I keep a spare set of both on the boat so I was able to get home.
I was very happy with how the boat worked. It was nothing less than perfect. All the gear worked great: engine, sails, plumbing, electrical, etc. The inside was even dry by the time we made it home.
In case anyone is interested, I have a long write up and lots of pictures here:
Block Island Sailing Vacation - Sailing - Spot
There is a map and pics at the bottom.
|08-23-2010 09:38 PM|
Glad you made it ok to Block, conditions out here in the Hamptons have been pretty ugly.
|08-22-2010 11:14 PM|
It sure was/is nasty "out east". We're in Lake Montauk. I've seen wind at anchor before, but this has a lot of gusts to it from the side, our boat's rocking and heeling some. (Not much pitching, we have about 100 yards of fetch right now.)
Have fun exploring the island.
I'll be scarce this week. If you are in Montauk next weekend, I'll buy you a beer or two.
|08-22-2010 09:19 PM|
|WanderingStar||Barry, Sorry the weather is uncooperative. I was worried about your vessel and crew today. Glad you handled it all well, think of it as training. Even though there will be more rain, there will be breaks too. I hope you enjoy the rest, and get at least one glorious day. See you on return.|
|08-22-2010 08:51 PM|
Glad you made it to Block. Weather today in NY area was not great with Small Craft Advisories on the Sound and Gale Warnings where you were.
General forecast for the next couple of days looks to be about the same until the big low over the northeast moves off. NOAA currently says: "As a low pressure system over south central New York state moves northeast, it will combine with another low off the Mid-Atlantic Coast south of Long Island after midnight. A series of low pressure waves will develop off the Mid-Atlantic Coast and pass east of Long Island through Wednesday. High pressure will build east across the area Thursday and Friday."
NOAA has been wrong before but I hope you're not in a hurry to get back. Block I. should be great this time of year. Enjoy.
|08-22-2010 08:36 PM|
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Thanks for the update. I was thinking that you were going to have a great sail to Milford. I was envious watching the boats sail west - they had a nice following sea and probably and apparent wind below 10 kts.
If I knew then what I know now, we would have sailed to Brandford or somewhere like that, spent the night and sailed home today.
20 / 20 hindsight, right.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|