SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related) > We are 99% sure we are going engine-less
 Not a Member? 


Thread: We are 99% sure we are going engine-less Reply to Thread
Title:
  

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Topic Review (Newest First)
10-26-2010 10:05 PM
sailingdog You're right... no one can drill through a skull as dense as yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Now you're just being crazy...


10-26-2010 09:23 PM
chrisncate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't forget to drill a hole in your skull to prevent headaches...
Now you're just being crazy...


10-26-2010 09:12 PM
sailingdog Don't forget to drill a hole in your skull to prevent headaches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Hey, that's not a bad idea...

You know, from the purists perspective, people went hundreds of years without teeth and it was good enough for them..
















10-26-2010 09:09 PM
chrisncate
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
C&C - you crack me up dude.
Yea..
10-26-2010 09:08 PM
smackdaddy C&C - you crack me up dude.
10-26-2010 08:52 PM
chrisncate
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
c&c, good on you for asking,and listening. I was worried you would next pull all your teeth to avoid a toothache .......i2f
Hey, that's not a bad idea...

You know, from the purists perspective, people went hundreds of years without teeth and it was good enough for them..

















10-26-2010 08:42 PM
imagine2frolic c&c, good on you for asking,and listening. I was worried you would next pull all your teeth to avoid a toothache .......i2f
10-26-2010 07:57 PM
chrisncate
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
I checked your site... neat! ...when you had time to ask Abby Sunderland questions, did you get her feedback on going engineless? or how would she have maintained any control when bare poled? i dont think the good sailnet folks are bangin on you, they just give their honest opinion which is valuable.

my two no cents button exists anymore
No No, I don't think so either, that one guy was just giving me grief for saying 99% sure instead something like 50% sure, which I can understand.

I always appreciate the feedback I get on this forum, this place harbors folks who actually sail.
10-26-2010 07:51 PM
chrisncate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I didn't mean to sound like the grouchy old guy I probably am, but if I were 99% sure I was going to do something then that would mean there was only a 1% chance that I could be talked out of whatever hairbrained idea I'd had. Maybe instead of "99%" you should have used "50%", which would have been viewed as trying to open a dialogue about the advantages/disadvatages of going engineless if you weren't almost 100% sure of your decision?
For the record, I think you've gotten excellent advice from the forum on this subject and whatever your decision I hope it works out for you and that your cruise turns out to be everything you dreamed it would be.
Naa, no harm done at all, it's all good

And I do agree, the advice here has been great. Honestly, I believe the best advice comes from talking to others in real time on some subjects, this being one of them. Some of the insights here aren't things I have run across while poking around on this topic so it was worth it. A bit of the back story as to why I even posted this thread:

We were in the boat yesterday doing some other work, and I had the companionway steps off and we were both looking at (what we view as) the monstrosity motor in all it's inaccessible glory, so naturally we began talking about it and since we both have the purist mentality, we kind of worked ourselves up into a "let's ditch it!" frenzy, which then had the cascade effect of "hey, what else can we get rid of!". I'm sure some of you can relate..

Motorless sailing has always been an interest of ours (that's why we hardly ever turn it on), however this thread has definitely talked us off the edge (another benefit of real time discussion rather than static websites for info).

Anyway, we are keeping the effing engine, safety being the primary reason. I think the worst scenario would be becalmed in a fog with shipping traffic.

Someday, when we are back in a home port (wherever that may be), I will go engineless.
10-26-2010 07:37 PM
Boasun I use to sail a 26' Knock-about and was able to put it just about any place I wanted to. That class of boats do not have an engine, thus you really do need to know how to sail in tight quarters.
And the larger sailboats you will learn why you depart with an ebb tide and return with a flood tide.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.