SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  

Quick Menu
Boat Reviews  
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Marine Electronics
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Morgan > Morgan Thru-Hull fittings
 Not a Member? 

Thread: Morgan Thru-Hull fittings Reply to Thread

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-02-2011 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by mzw View Post
My Morgan has through hull fittings that are glassed into the hull. Some of these have a screen on the outside, but most are flush with the hull.................
I was trying to match this description to my Morgan fittings, but without any ideas. Is yours a "Catalina"-Morgan?.....Nelson-Marek? 'curious, Aythya crew
07-01-2011 11:26 PM
LesleyS Ball Valves are the ones I am trying to sort out. There are a couple Gate Valves that I need to replace, but the Ball valve type is the one that is broken.
07-01-2011 11:34 AM
fcsob Do you have gate valves or ball valves ?
06-30-2011 03:09 PM
LesleyS I've got a 1981 416 with a non-functioning thru-hull for the aft air conditioning intake. I've never had to deal with thru-hulls before on my 26 ft Chrysler day-sailer, so this is all new to me. What do I need to do to repair the thru-hull, so that it keeps water out when closed? Also, what is the best method for unsticking and lubricating the thru-hulls before the boat goes back in the water?

Thanks in advance,
s/v Sheer Joy
06-01-2011 08:10 PM
Sailmon Just finished all my seacocks and throughulls on my 1978 382. The original throughulls were in excellent shape.
05-06-2011 12:15 PM

I agree, after closer inspection, it appears that just new handles and cleaning (for most part) is all that is required.
05-01-2011 11:22 PM
Morgan thru hulls

Why not keep the thru hull in place and only replace the valve? That's what might be the simplest option.
03-29-2011 02:25 PM
Morgan Thru-Hull fittings

My Morgan has through hull fittings that are glassed into the hull. Some of these have a screen on the outside, but most are flush with the hull. While I have owned an older boat (1970 Pearson), all the through hulls on that boat were not glassed in and had a flange on the outside of the hull.
Most of the through hull fittings on the Morgan need work- new seacock valves and handles.

Anyone else have this configuration? Have you changed these out?
I thought that I could un-screw the seacock ball valve and simply screw on a replacement, but the fiberglass goes up around the ball valve as well.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to replace the entire thing with a more modern configuration where the thru-hull is a mushroom type (with a flange on the outside) with a backing block inside and a thru-hull flange nut on top of it, and then the ball valve.

Happy Sailing

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) LLC 2000-2012

The store is owned and operated by a company independent of the forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.