SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Working aboard Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-27-2011 10:53 AM
denverd0n This is a tricky area of immigration law, so you REALLY need to do your own research, possibly pay a lawyer, and be sure that you have the right answer (rather than just trusting the advice of strangers on an internet forum), before embarking on such a venture.

Having said that, I can tell you that I spent a good bit of time researching the options for working abroad a few years ago. My guess is that you would not need a U.S. "work visa." That is for someone who comes to the U.S. and gets a job working for a U.S. company as an employee. You would, however, most likely need a business license, and I am sure that some sort of permit to operate a business as a foreign citizen would be required.

You would not be an employee of any U.S. company, but you WOULD be operating your business in U.S. territory. I do not know the details, but I would bet a HUGE amount of money that the U.S. has restrictions (paperwork, fees, etc.) on foreign citizens who want to operate a business in the U.S.

Indeed, all countries that I am aware of have some such restrictions.
07-27-2011 10:27 AM
Funding a voyage

Thanks for the response.
The question was a part of a search for ways to fund my future (in 3 years) retirement and sailing in the world.
I have experience in software development (image processing) and I think I can use it to fund the sailing.

07-26-2011 10:25 AM
pdqaltair Ulladh's answer makes the most sense. I work for a multinational and that is how we handle this.

If you are looking for a cute loop hole, I don't think much of that. Would it go over well, situation reversed, in your home country? I doubt it. I have known people that tried to work on a visitor's visa, while getting paid to an overseas acount; they either couldn't come back or it got very complicated. They didn't get bagged per se, but the INS folks sniff that out when some is here too long. You need to tell the truth.
07-26-2011 08:16 AM
Ulladh If the boat is in US waters it is subject to US law.

If you told the immigration agent you are a tourist and have a tourist visa then you cannot work or look for work, or interview for work.

If you told the agent you are here on business for a company located outside the US then you get a different visa.

I have relatives working for EU based companies that come to the US frequently on company business, get paid into a EU based bank, and declare purpose for the visit when entering the country.
07-26-2011 08:10 AM
Minnewaska To technically answer your question of nexus, I do believe you would technically be working in the US and both violating a visitor visa and tax laws. I assumed you would be using US waters a safe harbor to be able to work and US infrastructure to communicate over the internet.

On the other hand, unless you were obvious about it and posted it on the Internet, I'm not sure how you would get caught.
07-26-2011 07:57 AM
shaile I'll clarify the question:
A foreign contractor (or company), in this case software developer, may have a business relations with US companies and while working in his original country may develop software for a US company, submit invoices and get paid.
Since a foreign registered boat is not a US territory even while in US waters, the question is whether the contractor may continue working abord his non US boat while anchoring in US waters.
It is obvious that if he is leaving US territorial waters he does not break any law.
07-26-2011 07:29 AM
tommays While i am no lawyer i do have a house guest who just arrived on a two month visa to meet people who will sponsor a 1 year work visa and he sure cant legally work
07-26-2011 07:09 AM
BentSailor Is he submitting invoices to US companies and/or being paid money by US clients? I'm not a lawyer, but I reckon this would be very important to the whether it is legal and/or worth pursuing.
07-26-2011 06:41 AM
Working aboard

Hi everyone,

Is it legal for a non US-citizen non green-card-holder to work aboard his non US boat as a software development contractor (i.e. submitting invoices) while anchoring in US waters/marina ?


Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome