SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Thread: Distinctive lines of paint and figures on bow Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-01-2011 05:30 PM
JohnRPollard Yes, "cove stripe." Some of the stylized symbols often seeing at the bow or stern are referred to as "scroll." But not all the symbols you see would be called "scroll", just those similar to what Flybyknight shows above. Others would simply be a trademark logo, I think.

Incidentally, those "wings" on the Hinckleys are called "talaria" -- the winged sandals of Hermes.
08-01-2011 01:44 PM
Flybyknight Thanks for the link.
I need to refine my stripe ends.


07-30-2011 01:35 PM
KeithW Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
07-28-2011 03:47 PM
ArcherBowman Nah - They're tyring to make the boat feel more "zoomy."

Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Neat site, Tim.

It's funny how so many boat manufacturers have a version of an arrow, like they have to remind you that "this is the part of the boat that goes forward."
07-28-2011 03:18 PM
Donna_F Neat site, Tim.

It's funny how so many boat manufacturers have a version of an arrow, like they have to remind you that "this is the part of the boat that goes forward."
07-28-2011 01:43 PM
Tim R. Good Old Boat - Boat Identifiers
07-28-2011 01:39 PM
bilgedawg I've heard this decorative line referred to as a "cove stripe". Morgan's have a distinctive "M" preceding the line at the bow. It is actually indented into the gelcoat so it must have been engraved in the mold.
07-28-2011 01:03 PM
Mark1948 Memory returning, start looking on the good old boats web site.
07-28-2011 01:02 PM
Mark1948 Don't know about the name, but there is a web site that shows the feature for many makers and chages for different years. Just don't recall how it is named do some web searching.
07-27-2011 04:40 PM
Distinctive lines of paint and figures on bow

Hi folks,

I've noticed some builders put a stylized figure in the forward end of the line of paint on the hull just under the gunwale. For example, Hinckleys have a line of paint on each side of the hull, with a short break in the line near the bow, and then "wings" at the bow. Tartans have a little two-sided arrowhead after the break in the line of paint. C&Cs have two breaks in the line of paint and then a little plus sign.

(1) Does anybody know the name for this line of paint and the identifying figure when it comes to the bow?

(2) Is there a page that brings these together and shows the different designs for each boatbuilder to help identify the manufacturer or another boat on the water?


Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome