SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Changing residents??? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-09-2011 04:26 PM
SanDiegoChip We will be selling off our cars but will documnet our boat as home ported in WA.
08-09-2011 02:28 PM
SusanBob Chip, we just changed our residency from Iowa to South Dakota for the same reason as you. I do believe that most states require that you have a Driver's License & a mailing address in their state, but all states have different requirements. Having your mail sent to your daughter may not work for Washington. We, also, registered our boat & pickup truck in S.D. as the insurance rates were cheaper. Every little bit helps. Bob & Susie's Big Adventure

08-09-2011 12:01 PM
SanDiegoChip Hi,
Here is an update to our residence and questions.
We at this point are looking at possible residence in Washington state as we live in Cal and this would be most cost effective.
We have a daughter that lives in San Diego. She could take our mail for us. We do not plan on getting much mail.
Once we establish residence using a service for a state address so we can get a drivers license would we need to continue to pay the service so we could keep the Washington state address?

Could we just have our mail forwarded to our daughter?

We are of course looking for a way to save a continues charge for mail.
07-28-2011 05:20 PM
SanDiegoChip We will start off here and let you know how it goes.
:: American Home Base Inc. - "Your Mail Forwarding and Message Center."
07-28-2011 01:31 PM
sidney777 Take a look at this. Has many options and one says it can set up tax free residence in Florida.
Mail, Banking and Logistics - resources for cruising sailors
Also, RV Camping | RV Camping Jobs | Work Camping and Boondocking
and I know very good Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers
You can have a legal and useful address and residence, for example in Texas with Escapees. Although some of the above are for FULL TIME RV people, they apply to you.
....These companies specialize in what you want to do and are not informal opinions you might get from me or ?
Please let us know your solution...
07-28-2011 01:22 PM
LauderBoy I'd give a mail forwarding service a call:

My "residence" is my St. Brendan's Isle mail address. This was a lot easier for me since I was already a Florida resident. I was able to easily change my drivers license and so on through the mail.

But I know they handle other people changing their residency to Florida. That may or may not save you any money though. For example, if you return to California there may be issues with staying there long term with a Florida registered boat.

If you're going to be permanently on the move I'd look into a few services from a couple states and get some ideas on which one will work best for you. Every state will have different taxes, registration fees and so on that could impact your specific situation.
07-28-2011 12:57 PM
Changing residents???

We are planning to leave California for cursing the Pacific West Coast of Mexico and beyond this coming year.

We are told that having our boat documented from California and being residents makes for a bigger tax bill.

Is this true?

We will only be getting a SS check and my wife a California state pension check. We have no other assets in California.
So do we need to go to some other state to establish a residence (drivers license etc)?

That is a pain and an expense say for a hotel and vacation time from work etc.
Any advice on this would be helpful.
Do we need to see a tax person?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome