SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Thread: Severe weather Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-06-2011 12:27 PM
BoldSailor "They should be able to adjust the mizzen and staysail in a manner to heave to."

As it turned out, as the Captain and crew were trying to adjust the sails, the helmsman reported that we were headed in a beautiful North direction. Away from the worst of it. Staysail was changed to leeward and we sailed off north, to await word of Sean's direction. He headed east, so we did sail to Beaufort. Arrived safely but a bit worse for wear.
11-12-2011 04:25 AM
brokesailor Seaya pulled into Georgetown, SC on Weds. They experienced 50 kt winds, huge seas. Rode out part of the storm hove to. They blew out all their sails except their storm jib, no details. 2 out of the crew of 3 were sick as dogs. They turned around and crossed the gulf stream on storm jib alone doing 3 kts. I am amazed they didn't end up in Portugal. They claim the tartan handled very well in the huge seas.

The Hinckley arrived in Morehead City Thursday AM. They were knocked down 3 times, lost all electronics, blew out their main sail. No injuries.

Can't wait to hear the sea stories in person.

There is still one boat out there from the NARC, Tahawus. She does not seem to be moving. Don't know if shes hove to or has not updated the Spot for a while.

I did read an article that one boat on the NARC set abandoned ship, picked up by a freighter after rudder damage approaching Bermuda.

"“At approximately 3:30 pm [Sunday], the crew of M/V Oleander was involved in the successful recovery of four survivors from the 46 foot sailing vessel Elle a NARC rally participant, located approximately 200 miles northwest of Bermuda,” said a Maritime Operations spokesman.

The captain of Elle decided to abandon their vessel having encountered steering failure & subsequent injury to a crew member — bruised ribs — in 30 to 35 knot winds with seas ranging from 20 to 30 feet.

“The Oleander, en route, from New Jersey to Bermuda was diverted to the distress position and has since arrived in Hamilton Harbor this morning where the crew members were landed ashore. One of the survivors wished to express his gratitude for the professionalism shown by the captain and crew of the Oleander during the rescue operation.”

The Oleander is operated by Bermuda Container Lines.

Early Monday morning another NARC rally participant, the 49-foot Riot suffered steering failure on final approach to St. George’s Harbor and issued a distress call.

“Bermuda Maritime Operations Center tasked the Pilot boat St. George and tug Powerful to assist the vessel with winds averaging 30 to 35 knots during the rescue operation and attempts being made to keep the sailing vessel clear of the reef structure,” said the Marine Operations spokesman. “The yacht Riot, with six persons onboard, was safely guided into St. George’s Harbor a short while later.”
11-11-2011 09:51 AM
Excellent Learning Thread .. any updates available??

Excellent Learning Thread .. any updates available??
11-09-2011 08:18 PM
billyruffn Crossing the Gulf Stream with 20+ knots from the NE is not a good idea. They should put the wind on the port quarter and sail away from the storm. Put the crew on 1 hr on 2 hrs off and keep on truckin’. In a few days, once past Abaco Is., they can enter the NE Providence Channel in the Bahamas, and find a place to rest up for the remainder of the trip south, or retire to Florida to refit the boat.
11-09-2011 07:17 PM
btrayfors Sean has strengthened and begun to move north. He is forecast to reach hurricane strength by midday Thursday, with gusts to 80 knots (92mph).

The only good news is that he is forecast to turn NE and start moving rapidly, and to be absorbed into another system.

11-09-2011 06:55 AM
brokesailor Bill: I sure wish I knew how to do that!
Hinckley position as of a few minutes ago:
GPS location Date/Time:11/09/2011 06:11:50 EST
They will be crossing the stream today, looks like 20 Kts from the NE

Have not heard from Seaya since last night. They should have been crossing the stream last night in 30 Kts from the N-NNE. Fat part of the stream at that latitude. Hope they made it.
11-08-2011 08:49 PM
Slayer Just checked the spot tracking for the NARC rally. They have three vessels in the middle of it right now. And two more are just north of bermuda. I am glad I had plans to go to Mexico next week or I may have been on one of those boats.

Hope all make it safely.
11-08-2011 07:52 PM
btrayfors I've posted a chart showing the projected track of the storm, Sean, and the last reported position of the s/v Seaya.

It is here: Sean1900Nov8

Sorry, I can never post pix on this Board.

I sure don't envy them their situation. However, given the relative positions and the uncertainty of Sean's track...these things are never 100% predictable...I believe the choice is either to continue heading West for, e.g., Beufort SC or Charleston (they're already way south of Beufort NC) or heave to, slow down, rest for a day or two, and watch what Sean does. It may become clear by Thurs, and Seaya could continue toward Bermuda.

The fast moving cold front heading towards the East Coast is another complicating factor. Either way, looks like they're in for some more rough weather.

I wish them the very best.

11-08-2011 06:03 PM
sailguy40 From what you wrote there, it sounds like Beaufort is the safer choice.
11-08-2011 05:48 PM
AdamLein Isn't Sean forecast to turn straight for Bermuda?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome