|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|11-11-2012 01:38 PM|
Re: Daytona-Long Island?
24' boat and open Atlantic for any ten days, and I'd expect someone's going to think they got trapped on a roller coaster at some point. Even heading and and then ducking in...the ducking part won't be quick in a 24' boat, more time lost in and out.
With lots of patience and an eye on the wx, still might be a nice trip, but I'd make sure to file a float plan with someone and keep checking in. And don't be afraid to change your mind and go up the ditch if you get beat up outside.
|11-11-2012 08:10 AM|
Re: Daytona-Long Island?
A few things to consider,
1) This time of year the winds will probably be against you. Most people do that route in the spring, once the SE winds appear and are steady. Heading up the coast with NE's isn't much fun.
2) Staying inside (just offshore) and you'll be fighting the counter current of the Gulf Stream, expect 1-2knts of current flowing south.
3) Watch the weather very closely, cold front + 24ft boat + Atlantic = not fun.
In a boat that size and during this time of year, your better off taking the ditch.
|02-23-2012 11:42 AM|
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
|11-17-2011 06:22 PM|
Hug the coast?
I am not so sure you want to hug the coast around Hatteras Island, N.C...you might be better off in the stream, which is not far offshore there.
|11-17-2011 06:01 PM|
|ACapri||We're considering not taking the gulf stream and just hugging the coast, just to be safe, I've never been on a trip this long, neither have the two guys who are coming.|
|11-16-2011 01:30 AM|
We did a 1700 mile trip from the west coast of Florida to eastern Connecticut in April-May of 1996. We had a good weather window on the Atlantic side of Florida and went offshore at Ft. Pierce to pick up the Gulf stream. 72 hours later we were in Beaufort, NC. We went inside and up the ICW to Norfolk and then up the Chesapeake to the C&D canal. It was then down the Delaware to the Cape May Canal. From Cape May we headed directly to Montauk Pt and on to eastern CT.
We had a crew of 3 guys, including a first mate with offshore single handing experience, and were properly equipped with life raft, EPIRB, redundant navigation gear (Loran, GPS, sextant) and had a SSB and a 2 meter ham radio. We had predeployed extra running backstays and a babystay and had storm sails at the ready. Thankfully, the weather was great 95% of the time.
Some things to consider: Going offshore--especially if you pick up the Gulf stream--will save you a lot of time by avoiding the ICW meander in the far south and lots of drawbridges. We probably saved 2 weeks by taking the 600 mile offshore route to NC. However, to stay in the Gulf stream, we were 140 miles offshore as we passed Georgia, so we had to be prepared to stay out for a while. We went in at Beaufort, which is one of only about a half dozen Atlantic coast inlets that you can use in bad weather. We had ducked in as a front moved in from the north, with 30 kt winds. Going around Cape Hatteras was out of the question, so we entered the ICW at that point.
If you followed our itinerary, it would take you at least 2 weeks to get to NY, but you would need the weather gods on your side. If you stay in the ICW the whole way, you would probably need at least another 2 weeks.
If you have the time and are willing to wait for the right weather, go for it!
|11-15-2011 10:37 AM|
Originally Posted by ACapri View Post
|11-15-2011 10:34 AM|
In offshore racing this would be a CAT A trip which requires you to carry a LOT of saftey gear
How much you chose to carry is UP to you and the level of risk your willing to take
|11-13-2011 10:43 PM|
|ACapri||I don't really have any time constraints, and the two gentlemen that would be coming along with me don't either, and I dont think we'll be sailing too far offshore. Of course weather will be an issue but from what I've read its more likely to find a weather gap big enough in the summer months then it would be now during winter.|
|11-13-2011 09:03 PM|
People have gone further in less, but that's a serious trip for that boat. You've got what, some 1100 miles? And depending on adverse wind or currents and gulf stream eddies, you might average 4 knots for 275 hours of sailing. 10-14 days more or less if you have crew and sail 24x7. 7-10 if you get the right weather and move fast.
So, can you depend on that big a weather window? Carry two weeks of food and water for at least two people, preferably 3? And 48 hours worth of fuel? And if the weather turns, will you be close enough to scoot in an inlet? (Many of which are impassible in bad wx.)
Could be a fun trip. If you look at all the pieces, if none of the problems bother you...go for it. If you can' get crew (and depend on their schedule and your vs weather windows) you could go up the intracoatal, motoring for most of two weeks.
If the logistics get daunting, well...a trailer and two days on I95 might be the cheaper way to bring it back. No crew needed, no weather windows. Spend the time and money saved by going out across to Nantucket or AC instead. :-)
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|