|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|11-22-2011 04:48 PM|
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
|11-22-2011 04:12 PM|
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
The Pacific circuit allows a visit Asian countries such as Japan that are off the traditional beaten track and for me is a good way to get to see Alaska and the PNW. The crossing from Japan to Alaska has to give one pause. Could get a tadge nasty.
Of course once you are in Alaska the NW Passage beckons and that route to Europe or ECAmerica becomes increasingly doable as time goes by.
|11-22-2011 12:52 PM|
|galaboat||Would not even consider the Red Sea! Suggest over the top, Cocos Keeling, Rodriguez (A good one) Mauritius, Reunion, SA! The Indian Ocean may be the roughest one of the round, never had less than 30 knots and a bitch cross-wave from the south! Hard on the Monitor! Don't think you want to meet a bunch of 16 year olds with automatic weapons and a hunger for kath and babes! Book in Richards Bay or at the Yacht Club or Tuzi Gazi Marina! As for the Cape, remember that patient sailors have good weather!|
|11-22-2011 09:27 AM|
|tropicalboogie||I crewed as far as Salalah, Oman from Phuket last winter in a convoy (TTT). The anxiety level was off the chart! Although we never saw a pirate we hallucinated many. Every skiff looked like a pirate attacker. i really don't recommend it to anyone unless they are on a navy gun boat!|
|11-22-2011 08:56 AM|
Sounds like you've made your choice and will be rounding the cape. In your situation, that's probably what I would have choosen as well.
As I see it, the only real options are:
1) risking the piracy of the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden to cruise north of Africa into the Mediterranean Sea,
2) risking the extremely long and potentially very stormy passage around South Africa and the Cape of Good Hope,
3) sail back across the Pacific and fight the opposing currents and weather,
4) pay to have your sailboat transported aboard a cargo ship across the Indian Ocean and into the Mediterranean Sea.
Those options don’t make for an easy choice.
I have a goal to do a major cruise someday. I’ve never felt that the cruise has to include a circumnavigation to live up to my lofty expectations. I’m not the kind of sailor who makes decisions based on setting records or checking boxes off on some list. In fact, part of why I sail is to escape such societal values.
I do know that if I were doing my "world" cruise today I’d probably skip the Indian Ocean all together (and likely the Med, given the itinerary below). I think I’d make a u-turn in the Pacific at Australia and ride the Kuroshio and North Pacific Currents back to California. If my voyage began in the Great Lakes, I'd still see the east coast of the U.S., the Caribbean, Central America, the South Pacific, Australia, possibly Hawaii and eventually California.
|11-22-2011 07:09 AM|
You might find the attached two articles on sailing the Southern Indian Ocean useful. They are written by Beth Leonard (author of "The Voyager's Handbook).
|11-21-2011 10:40 PM|
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
|11-21-2011 04:41 PM|
|killarney_sailor||Michael am I missing something here? Are you spending a year in South Africa/Mauritius? If you are arriving in Cape Town in March (I think you said at the earliest) and spending a couple of months in South Africa, say April-May, you would be heading onward in the fall into winter, June/Julyish? It is early in the morning here and I may not have read your itinerary properly.|
|11-21-2011 08:02 AM|
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
|11-21-2011 03:21 AM|
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
I have done a west to east trip across the Indian Ocean and I'd sooner sail to Somalia for Christmas than do that trip again.
Please be sure to check the seasonal changes very carefully because if you sail in the wrong season you will literally be beating into 25 knots of headwind for 3600 miles in the lumpiest, most uncomfortable sea on the planet.
I say this in all honesty - If I was in Cape Town and my destination HAD to be Fremantle/Perth I would either do a 1-stop trip south (35 degrees or more, on the fringes of the Southern Ocean) or I would sell my boat and fly to Perth. There is no way in hell that I would contemplate the trip you are.
If you're going to do the SA - Mauritius - Perth trip I REALLY wish you the best of luck.
For the record, I just ran a VPP study on the Mauritius to Fremantle route. In January/February you will beat for 60% of the trip and tight reach for the other 40%. In August you will beat about 50% and then reaching for about 50%. Season here is critical because of the trades that switch at certain times of the year. You have to avoid the South East monsoon.
Just my 5 cents worth - use it - don't use it.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|