|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|02-17-2012 10:59 AM|
|VetMike||Wow. I got a lot more than I expected! I can now go out looking at boats with a much better understanding of the pros and cons of each. Thanks everyone.|
|02-16-2012 07:44 PM|
Since your boat had a keel-stepped mast, I would have thought your boat had an aluminum casting with a flange to reinforce the hole in deck and distribute the side loads from your original mast partners. If not, the Tiara folks may have molded a lip to catch the mast boot, in either case they must have factored in lateral loads on your coachroof.
If you bolt your deck-stepped mast to the deck (via your sandwich?) you might check to make sure your coachroof is securely attached to a bulkhead near the mast or that the compression/jack post is securely bolted to the original mast step. As indicated in an earlier post, there is the possibility of the coachroof lifting if it isn't otherwise constrained. My boat (keel-stepped) has a SS stay that connects to a through-bolted padeye on my cast aluminum flange (on deck) at one end and to a bulkhead that is just behind the mast at the other end.
I'd also make sure the original hole in the coachroof is properly waterproofed if you have internal halyards. And then there are the electrical penetrations and cleaning up the old mast step.
It sure looks like your are going to a lot of effort to convert your rig!
It sounds like you are going through a lot of effort to convert to the deck-stepped configuration. You must have a strong feeling about this!
|02-16-2012 06:42 PM|
|02-16-2012 04:10 PM|
I wouldn't want my wife hanging off there getting dunked!
|02-16-2012 03:59 PM|
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
|02-16-2012 02:09 PM|
|Sanduskysailor||A couple of things we learned. My incident happened at night. We got caught in a microburst on Lake Erie. Winds went from 18 to 70knots instantly and remained there for about 20 minutes. The infamous Lake Erie confused steep 4 foot chop was a bigger problem. A hacksaw is useless in these conditions as the boat goes abeam to the waves. The boat will pitch and alternately roll pretty violently in these conditions. No way you can get a hacksaw to work especially at night. We lost the whole rig and the boom as the boom was attached to a rigid vang which was twisted causing it to lock tightly. Be mindful that the rig was pounding on the hull so there was a sense of urgency. Bolt cutters would work for the rig with some difficulty because of the boat motion and movement of the shrouds. I wish I had a Holmatro EXC 14H. A Felco 12 cutter might work also which I now have. As it was, my racing crew of 5 was pretty handy. We had Johnson Wrap pins Wrap Pins, Velcro Locking Wrap 5/16in,3/8in (2) Johnson Marine on the turnbuckles so we just unscrewed the turnbuckles and and cut the hitech halyards with a sharp serrated knife. The biggest problem was the headstay which had an aluminum Harken foil. Not easy to cut especially when it is moving. My wife ended up hanging over the bow holding the locknut with a wrench while another crew stood over her and undid the bolt with another wrench. Sounds easy except it was night, the boat pitching, and my wife getting dunked a couple of times. That's not something you want to do on a regular basis. Bowpersons are hard to replace.|
|02-16-2012 01:24 PM|
YachtingMonthly's Channel - YouTube
|02-16-2012 11:05 AM|
|02-16-2012 10:44 AM|
|02-16-2012 08:56 AM|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|