SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-18-2012 09:31 PM
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

04-16-2012 11:52 AM
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks


Actually, I believe that our standpipes are metal pipes that are glassed into the hull. They are completely encased in fiberglass, so you don't see the metal.

To add a ball valve, you'd have to grind away the fiberglass at the top of the pipe to see if it's threaded to accept a ball valve.
04-14-2012 07:43 AM
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

In a P30, the standpipes are vertical solid fiberglass tubes glassed directly into to the hull. The tops of the tubes are above waterline, and used for the sink drains, connected via hose and clamps. I, personally, haven't seen them in other boats.

Brent - How are standpipes configured in a metal boat ? and - Do you think I could feasibly add a ball valve to my standpipes via hose and adapters?

04-12-2012 10:48 PM
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

I'll bite.
What are you referring to as a standpipe?
Maybe I know it by another name, but this is new to me.
04-12-2012 10:41 PM
Brent Swain
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

I prefer both , standpipes and stainless ball valves, That way, you are dependent on neither, and not on hose clamps, or flexible hose.
04-10-2012 09:50 AM
Re: Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

Hi Casco,

I have not yet replaced mine, but I did inspect them and they seem solid.

Surveyors and insurance companies all have varying views and policies about the issue. US Boat only insisted that the boat be surveyed. I found a surveyor who actually said that he prefers standpipes over through hulls & seacocks because he said if there's going to be a failure, it'll be the valve.
I'm not saying he's right, I'm just telling you what his view was.

Another surveyor told me that he'd recommend on his survey that I rip out all standpipes and replace with through hulls and seacocks.

Bottom line: Call a few surveyors and get their feelings on the issue and what their policy is.
04-08-2012 10:55 PM
Replacing stand pipes with thru hulls / seacocks

Have any of you P30 owners out there replaced the fiberglass standpipes in the engine compartment and/or under the sink in the head ? I have read that some insurance companies will insist on a seacock in place of these standpipes. Has anyone else encountered this? or know of a sufficient way to put a seacock on a standpipe? This will be our first season with the boat, and I would like to avoid having to replace them if possible, as they are intact and in good shape. Any thoughts or information appreciated... thanks.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome