SailNet Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: What is this piece of sailing gear? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-07-2012 08:08 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Am trying to figure out if something like this could be used as a sort of "self tailing" winch handle although I actually dont understand how self tailing works and never felt I needed it.
11-07-2012 07:17 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

I like Smack's "newbie whacker" idea answer better even though everybody else seemed to concur on the jam cleat thing!
11-07-2012 06:31 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

It is a cam tightener from the '50's-60's. It was part of a fitting that included a bullseye through which a line was led, then through a cam cleat, and then a post, all on a backing plate typically fitted to a boom or mast on a small boat. One would slide the cam tightener over the post and lead the line over the wheel and under the cam on the handle. With that, one could "tail" the line with one hand and tighten it with the other and "crank" as needed. They were commonly used to tighten outhauls and reefing lines on booms that weren't large enough to take a winch but that needed a mechanical advantage to set the lines up properly or on small boat masts. One handle was all that was needed for several fittings. They actually worked pretty well.

11-07-2012 05:16 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's a two-speed Newbie-Whacker.
Don't be ridiculous! That's only the single speed version.
11-07-2012 04:59 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

It's a two-speed Newbie-Whacker.
11-07-2012 04:55 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Jam cleat, where the roundish knob on the handle goes into the winch, effectively holding the bitter end right at the winch (but not like a self tailer as it would not self tension).
11-07-2012 04:53 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

I believe it's a cleat.
11-07-2012 04:52 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Looks like a jam cleat with a handle to help release the line being held.
11-07-2012 04:51 PM
Re: What is this piece of sailing gear?

Believe it's an old style jam cleat/clutch. I have some snatch blocks w/ the same logo; came w/ my boat.
11-07-2012 04:42 PM
What is this piece of sailing gear?

This belongs toa friend and I cannot locate him anymore. The company logo on it is "N M" with a stylized sailboat between the N and M. I looked up the patent number and it has something to do with winches.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome