SailNet Community - Reply to Topic

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related) > Sydney Hobart Record
 Not a Member? 


Thread: Sydney Hobart Record Reply to Thread
Title:
  

By choosing to post the reply below you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Click here to view the posting rules you are bound to when clicking the
'Submit Reply' button below


Topic Review (Newest First)
02-25-2013 07:34 PM
Classic30
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hartley that is not the point. Multihulls are faster period! In fact I believe that the same way you have records for men and women in athletics (because men are faster) you should have in what regards records, record times for multihulls and record times for multihulls. It makes no sense to say that a Multihull beat a Monohull record the same way that does not make sense in athletics to say that a man "smashed" a women's record.
Paulo, I don't disagree with you - but merely point out that until the CYCA make a policy decision to recognise multi-hulls and allow them to enter their competetions there will never be a distinction over here.

A few people in recent years have tried to pressure the CYCA into allowing multis to compete in the Sydney-Hobart Race. A conspiracy theorist might argue that this "record" attempt could be intended to increase the pressure..

..but since multis are seen to be "dangerous" and "extreme" and with mental images of that pointless monohull/multihull AC challenge in NZ still in their minds, most people over here, both sailors and non-sailors alike, are quite happy with monohull-only competition in the CYCA's races - for now.
02-25-2013 07:14 PM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
...

Certainly no-one here gives a ..(insert appropriate expression here).. whether it's a monohull or a multi-hull that holds the "record".
Hartley that is not the point. Multihulls are faster period! In fact I believe that the same way you have records for men and women in athletics (because men are faster) you should have in what regards records, record times for multihulls and record times for multihulls. It makes no sense to say that a Multihull beat a Monohull record the same way that does not make sense in athletics to say that a man "smashed" a women's record.

That is why in what regards sail racing you have two different classifications, one for multihulls and other for monohulls. That does not happen officially in what regards records but unofficially everybody talks about records for monohulls and multihulls and there are attempts to beat monohull previous records:

Have a look:

Maserati New York to San Francisco Voyage - Record-breaker

Sail-World.com : Maserati New York to San Francisco Voyage - Record-breaker

Sailboat Crew Breaks Speed Record in NY-to-SF Voyage

Sailboat Crew Breaks Speed Record in NY-to-SF Voyage | Playbook | Wired.com

In fact, officially they did not break any record because the official record is a multihull record that they knew it was impossible to break. what they were attempting was to beat the monohull record and they managed by large.

I believe it will be a question of time to have officially a record differentiation for monohulls and multihulls the same way we have a differentiation for solo or crewed records. In fact that differentiation exists already, there are records for the two categories and it will only be a question of time before it will become official.

Regards

Paulo
02-25-2013 06:28 PM
Classic30
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

FWIW, there are a bunch of different sailing "records" in this part of the globe - usually for fasted time between selected places and usually managed by the CYCA. There are (usually) no prizes awarded and (usually) the press don't even notice. Some of these "records" include:
Sydney-Brisbane
Sydney-Mooloolaba
Sydney-Coffs Harbour
Brisbane-Gladstone
Brisbane-Cairns
Melbourne-Hobart (East Coast)
Melbourne-Hobart (West Coast)
Melbourne-Adelaide
Around Tasmania
Around Australia
etc.
etc...

It just so happens that this one was for a journey between Sydney and Hobart and I can understand that might give some overseas the impression it was related to the race - which it isn't - but, as usual, the news-media world-wide want publicity, not accuracy. Must have been a slow news day.


EDIT: Certainly no-one here gives a ..(insert appropriate expression here).. whether it's a monohull or a multi-hull that holds the "record".
02-25-2013 11:06 AM
blt2ski
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Paulo,

You're last couple of explanations are better. No different than some of the cross the atlantic records. If in a actual race....that is one type of record. If one can choose weather etc, then another type of record.

I suppose one could say the same about the 100M dash records. There are two as there is for many track records, The open, ie when ever set at a meet, then there is the olympic record. Sometimes both are the same, other times, the open is faster than the olympic....

I do agree that the title could be construed as not being accurate to a degree......

I would not want to take away the time records for either boat or race per say. As one is set on a given day, no matter the wind etc. the other one is able to play with the weather to set what should be the ultimate record. BOTH records have places. Probably no different that the around the world sailing records. There is a record for going east, and one going west. One with the winds, the other against. Neither should be held against the other, as both directions have potential opposite issues.

marty
02-25-2013 09:19 AM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I apologize, paolo. I misunderstood what you meant when you said "the record is relative'". If you say you were not denigrating the record, I have a hard time figuring out how what you wrote was at all complimentary, when your entire post was basically a slam, pointing out why the record run wasn't really a record run.
Nice of you, and I mean it. But you are right, I mean that what was beaten was not a comparable record but that it was a new record that was set, not a record that was beaten as the news that I have read pointed clearly out.

The existent previous record was a race record, not a record set with ideal conditions (as normally the records are set) and therefore they were not trying to beat a previous record, but to make a record time. Besides in what regards records monohulls and multihulls have different records, as there are record times to solo sailing and crewed boats.

Simply there was not any previous record time set by a multihull so they had not really much to beat, except a race monohull record that has nothing to do with what they were doing in two counts: Race record, and Monohull record.

I was pissed when I read the article on the newspaper by the sensationalist way it was given, like if it was a huge accomplishment over a precious record:

Sydney-Hobart sailing record smashed

Well the previous record was not smashed, the previous record remain as race record and mono-hull record. The previous record was not comparable, not in the conditions (race record), not in the type of boat (monohull). This is a new set record for Multihulls and I don't think there was any reference time before for multihulls. That was what I wanted to say with the word "relative".

I am sorry if I was not clear.

Regards

Paulo
02-25-2013 08:50 AM
bljones
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

I did not have denigrated the record. Only said that the record of a race is a thing, it is raced always in the same date without choosing the weather.

Other thing is a record that is taken on the most favorable weather window.

That is valid to multihulls or monohulls alike. Anyway there are separated records for monohulls and multihulls.

Maybe you should read again what I wrote, it seems you did not understood.

Regards

Paulo
I apologize, paolo. I misunderstood what you meant when you said "the record is relative'". If you say you were not denigrating the record, I have a hard time figuring out how what you wrote was at all complimentary, when your entire post was basically a slam, pointing out why the record run wasn't really a record run.
02-24-2013 11:22 PM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

JHe is not really totally damning of multis, he merely points out where monos and multis differ and why he still prefers a mono, particularly for offshore work.

...
Hey Mate, you are wrong about that. If I had the money for a Cruising 50ft trimaran I would certainly chose a trimaran. Well, if I had the money for a 35ft Dragonfly I would try to have one (not many chances, my wife likes the speed but says the interior is too small).

Regards

Paulo
02-24-2013 11:15 PM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Not just any ocean either! The fact that they (a) broke the record and (b) didn't break anything else is a real testament to the skill and experience of Langman and his crew.
Maybe they should take the balance and have a try at the around Australia Record, that is a French one, also with a trimaran.

Regards

Paulo
02-24-2013 11:10 PM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Paolo, dude, your anti-miutlihull bias is now getting ridiculous.
It was a fast trip.
On a fast boat.
Period.

Look, I get that you don't like boats with more than one hull. You have a whole thread of "interesting boats" without a single cat or tri, arguably the most interesting boats of all.
But to denigrate the record because it was under favourable conditions is just silly.

That would be like denying the portuguese explorers and sailors of antiquity accomplished anything because they simply bumbled from one uncharted shore to another and picked theri weather window to the best of their limited ability.
It seems you don't know what you are talking about. I love multihulls and there are plenty on the interesting sailboat thread. It seems you are not a regular

I did not have denigrated the record. Only said that the record of a race is a thing, it is raced always in the same date without choosing the weather.

Other thing is a record that is taken on the most favorable weather window.

That is valid to multihulls or monohulls alike. Anyway there are separated records for monohulls and multihulls.

Maybe you should read again what I wrote, it seems you did not understood.

Regards

Paulo
02-24-2013 11:00 PM
PCP
Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
That's a good question. Too dangerous maybe?

It's pretty significant that they could pick their weather for this attempt. The Sydney-Hobart starts on December 26th every year regardless of the weather forecast - which could be anything from flat calm to lethal storm.
It seems you have not the seaworthiness of multihulls in great account

No, I don't think that is the reason. They could limit the admissible size. I guess it is more conservativism and the rich guys with the big boats not wanting smaller cats with 1/4 of the crew to finish ahead. On all great European classics it took time to make multihulls admissible.

Anyway it is a shame because at that time of the year, with frontal winds, the monohulls would give fight to the multihulls. It would be a much more spectacular race.

Regards

Paulo
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.