SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing-Calamitous mistake hands French inshore Volvo victory

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  oysterman23 
#1 ·
Spain's former Olympic champion Iker Martinez made a crucial error to turn his Volvo Ocean Race-leading Telefonica boat way off course in Saturday's in-port race to slide from first to last and gift victory to French team Groupama, their closest overall challengers.

More...

#4 · (Edited)
Dude, I have no idea. Somehow I think Newsreader is a drooling-crazy-old sailor who swallowed the anchor and is chained to a bed in an old-folks home in Hoboken, given a steady diet of rum and forced by Nurse Rachet to seek out sailing news across the Interwebs on his Commodore 64.

Either that, or its Hal.

I just had to answer one of these posts once to find out. It's really weird in here. Have you noticed that your user info is truncated? Creepy.

#5 ·
Newsreader is an auto-bot that searches some news feed for the word 'sail' and posts the links and short descriptions here. Kind of like some of the posters here (cut n' paste types that is) - guilty as same.
There is a comedy group (not so funny) called the 'Harvard Sailing Team' that Newsreader has made posts about - nothing to do with sailing really as it is all about what they call comedy: Harvard Sailing Team

That said, were there any US teams in this Volvo race?

Newsreader crawls the news which might not necessarily be the news.

#6 ·
Okay, NewsReader, I've come to the conclusion that you are a pompous bastard. You post your sailing-related drivel day-in and day-out, but ignore us regular members like you're sailing royalty or something.

Fine, you arrogant idiot! Go ahead and live in your lonely little vacuous world of automaton journalism. See if we care!

Jerk.

I dare you to post in FightClub you blue-blazered Nancy.

#7 ·
Smack...

Re the drooling old sailor chained to a bed in Hoboken....
you got me goin there. In 1980 a friend of mine smiled when I said I was looking into getting a studio space near the river in Hoboken and he said man, if you havent been to the bar in that Hotel just outside the Path station Ive got to take you.....so he did.
Some where around here i have a journal entry from that day describing a guy nearly identical to your old sailor who would gather what ever remaining juice he had in his veins for a trip to the bar...by which time the barkeep had poured him a shot with a short chaser and left to tend to others. The "sailor" would take his shot, look down toward the barkeep and nod then walk back to his seat with the chaser, sit down. 15-20 minutes later it would happen again with absolutely no variation...no gesture, no innuendo nothing.
My friend looked at me later and said "well I told ya" and all I could think appropriate was "Nada es Nada" which he knew referred to a
quote from Hemingway (Islands in the Stream) I did not move to Hoboken :cool::laugher Thank god we're sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.