SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   News Feeds (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/news-feeds/)
-   -   California sailing accident survivor urges new safety rules (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/news-feeds/86678-california-sailing-accident-survivor-urges-new-safety-rules.html)

NewsReader 04-26-2012 09:40 AM

California sailing accident survivor urges new safety rules

TIBURON, California (Reuters) - One of three survivors from a fatal California yacht wreck said the moments he spent overboard felt like he was in "a washing machine filled with boulders," and that five crew mates who died might have been saved had they worn safety harnesses. In a letter posted to the website Sailing Anarchy, Bryan Chong of Tiburon, California, said he and the seven other ...

More...

NateKing 04-26-2012 12:16 PM

Re: California sailing accident survivor urges new safety rules

First off, this is a horrific tragedy and my heart and prayers are with the family and loved ones of the victims.

That being said, correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is no law stating that this crew could not wear tethering devices, they had them on board. I just don't think we need another law telling us what we have to do. As most things in life, it comes down to personal responsibility. We all have the right and responsibility to educate ourselves on the potential dangers of any sport or activity that we choose to take part in. It is then our responsibility to make what we think is the proper informed decisions based on the specifics of the situation that we find ourselves in. I am extremely new to sailing and even I know that in rough conditions it is advised that you tether yourself to the boat.

Anyway, I hope nobody takes this as insensitive, because it is not meant to be, but I strongly believe that we as sailors and specifically the captain of any vessel are ultimately responsible for our own safety and making the correct choices to ensure our safety. I don't want to be required to be tethered at all times, and if we get governmental regulators involved, I'm afraid that's were we may ultimately end up.

benajah 04-26-2012 12:42 PM

I think he would be referring to the race committee having rules for that race, not a wider applying law. I am in that area and many of us SF Bay area sailors are really rethinking our tethering practices now.
The water around the Farrallons is very unpredictable.

NateKing 04-26-2012 12:57 PM

I would be fine with that. Race committees can and should put rules in place to protect their participants and then let people decide if they want to compete under those rules. I may have misunderstood.

rgscpat 04-26-2012 02:14 PM

The headline does not seem to be an accurate reflection of Brian's letter. Maybe it's more a reflection of a news editor's opinion?

Tethers are a good thing, but the devil is in the details and a boat would need to have good attachment points -- maybe more than just jacklines since I could imagine that clipping a large crew into the same jackline might be a problem.