Niagara 35 market values - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By miatapaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lenoramarie
Niagara 35 market values

I just want to express my disappointment with the drop in value of the used boat market.In particular the Niagara 35's.Does anyone feel the same? Is it the brokers telling the owners what they can sell for? I hope not.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: Niagara 35 market values

LM.. I've moved your post into it's own thread.. the other thread title was not appropriate and it was years old.

Used boat values do seem to be dropping, it looks like there's a bit of a 'cliff' these days once you're into boats older than 1990 or so. Comparing a 1985 boat to a similar 1995 boat is often a near twofold difference in 'value'.

I doubt it's a broker driven issue, that's not logical, but more a glut of decent, used boats partly as a result of somewhat stronger new boat sales, and the apparent longevity of the older boats. Anytime you have such a buyer's market prices suffer.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lenoramarie

Thanks for your comment.I wanted to know who sets the price? When you go to a broker the first responce is to go to Yacht world and bring up what the selling price was in the last say 10 years. So owners are guided by the selling price of previous sellers creating a downward trend.This is not representative in my opinion of their true value.Certainly not ours.Luckily we don't have to sell and are still sailing.If everyone would hold firm at a fair price we could correct this injustice.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenoramarie View Post
Thanks for your comment.I wanted to know who sets the price? When you go to a broker the first responce is to go to Yacht world and bring up what the selling price was in the last say 10 years. So owners are guided by the selling price of previous sellers creating a downward trend.This is not representative in my opinion of their true value.Certainly not ours.Luckily we don't have to sell and are still sailing.If everyone would hold firm at a fair price we could correct this injustice.
Ahh.. in a perfect world, yes. Sadly many sellers are often desperate, or motivated or under some other form of pressure.

Anyone who has an especially pristine example of a particular model may well eventually get top dollar but that requires patience and a serendipitous meeting of the seller and 'that discerning' buyer who knows what they want and recognizes the value of a turnkey boat. And even that person is going to be aware of market history and perhaps unwilling to go for a full true value offer.

I suspect we all have a somewhat unrealistic idea of our boat's value.. until you actually have to/try to sell. Not that different from cars, actually....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 06-05-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Ahh.. in a perfect world, yes. Sadly many sellers are often desperate, or motivated or under some other form of pressure.

Anyone who has an especially pristine example of a particular model may well eventually get top dollar but that requires patience and a serendipitous meeting of the seller and 'that discerning' buyer who knows what they want and recognizes the value of a turnkey boat. And even that person is going to be aware of market history and perhaps unwilling to go for a full true value offer.

I suspect we all have a somewhat unrealistic idea of our boat's value.. until you actually have to/try to sell. Not that different from cars, actually....
Or houses. Or anything else you value more than the market does. The market is the market. There are several other threads about this here (that usually devolve into pseudopolitics or thinly veiled politics), but they all come down to: If you want to sell, and others are selling at X, you can only be so far from X or no one will buy. The internet is helping to drive things down as well, as there used to be a more 'local' market that is getting eaten away by the availability of more national pricing.
It is what it is, unfortunately. Which is, incidentally why I (and others) would NEVER buy a new boat (or car) as the original owner takes the massive lion's share of the depreciation.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2015

With older boats, its much to do with ability to get FINANCING. For boats over 20 years, its *HARD* to get financing. For boats over 30 years, that goes from hard to *IMPOSSIBLE*. So without the liquidity of credit (and lets be honest, its people that cant afford the boat that buy the boat), you're left with cash buyers only. Couple that with the fact that older bluewater boats are now going to need SERIOUS capital infusion to stay bluewater worthy (new engine, new stnading rigging, likely paint, new bimini/dodger, and of course the consumables like running rigging and sails), you further deplete the available consumer.

Unfortunately, unlike classic or vintage cars, there's just not a "concours' market for sailboats. I dont think there ever will be to be honest. I do see in the RV space, people flocking to vintage rides like airstreams and dodge travcos. But its just not there for the bread/butter of the sailboat market from 30-40 years ago. Sure, Hinkleys get all the eyes from years past and may even appreciate. But not likely a middle market boat like NIagara.

So whats likely to happen is these boats will successively go from owner to owner...the subsequent one more cheap or broke than the prior. I foresee many of them sitting in mooring fields, sinking or even meeting the chainsaw in the future. However, a few pearls and well taken care of boats will survive. Maybe the market will suddenly look favorably on their design aesthetic and they may even tick up in value. For a Niagara 35, however, I'm not holding my breath.

Its not right, its not wrong.... it just *is* this way.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 06-05-2015 at 04:50 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2015
Old enough to know better

The value of a boat is set by the market not the seller. It is mostly about supply and demand. They have been making fiberglass boats for a but over 60 years now and most are still floating. So there are more boats than ever but fewer sailors so that sets the price. Just think if say 80% of all cars made in the last 60 years were still in good shape and ran like new yet their were fewer drivers. Cars would not be worth much right? That is basically what has happened to the boat market. Basic economics.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Jiminri likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2015

Demographics may have a lot to do with prices. With so many baby boomers getting older, and putting their boat on the market, with no need of a huge price, vs the need to eliminate her as an expense, the used boat market is flooded.
The best way to avoid a huge loss, is by not spending too much on a boat in the first place. That also increases the number of potential buyers who can buy her without the need for bank financing.
Keep it simple!

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2015
Old enough to know better

Mid market boats seem to be hurt more unless they have something unique like the Nonesuch though they seem to not be moving quickly so perhaps there values have gone down more than many owners are willing to admit. (at least the ones I have seen listed have been listed for years) High end boats seem to still be doing well. And their is always a market for the big production boats, but at a much lower price.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.