New (to me) Spirit 23k - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 12-20-2016

Re: New (to me) Spirit 23k

Hello WolfmanBob,

The Neuse is our sailing ground. Would that be Duck Creek you've got your boat at in those pics? Had our boat hauled and painted there last winter. We keep the boat at the New Bern Grand and try to get down there every weekend we can during Spring, Summer, and Fall. I'll keep an eye out for you when the weather warms up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter

It was at Duck Creek. What a great place for DIY'ers. The people there were very nice and the price is reasonable.

I keep my boat at a friend's dock in Fairfield Harbor but will probably move to Matthews Point this spring. I'll be looking for you too. What's your boat name?
post #13 of 20 Old 12-20-2016

I'm somewhat familiar with Matthew's Point, our 104 class sailed out of there. A decent little marina, but not too much else in the area, which is fine if you like things quiet.

Our money-pit is called Cal A Lily, a 1981 Cal 2-25. I use a profile drawing of one as my sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-21-2016 Thread Starter

Agreed, twoshoes, the area is lacking in amenities. But I live in Morehead City and Matthews Point is much closer to home.

I'll keep my eyes open for you.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-22-2016

WolfmanBob- I had a random flash of something this evening that made me come look at your pics again. It does not look like you have a boom vang. Zippey did not either. Sailed her for years without one (and frankly did not know what they did!). After I started racing on other peoples boats I quickly realized the value of a vang and added one to Zippey. I also added a cunningham (main downhaul) because I could not get the halyard tight enough. The difference in performance was astounding! She points much better upwind now and her mainsail shape is a ton better. If I add a traveler I am confident she will point even higher and I will be able to keep (nearly) with my buddy's Cal 24.

This image is stolen from a Google Image search, but it is essentially what I did

Surprisingly you can get the fiddle blocks for this cheaper than anywhere else! They are good blocks too if you do not need high performance racing blocks.
Fiddle with becket and cam cleat $58 LEWMAR 50mm Synchro Fiddle Block with Becket and Cam | West Marine
Fiddle $32 LEWMAR 50mm Synchro Fiddle Block | West Marine
I used 3/8 line on it just fine.

The entire vang setup can be had for less than $100 if you do not go high performance, which these boats really do not need.

If you are curious I designed a traveler system with an engineer buddy who has been racing for 31 years quite successfully. The goal was to build something as cheaply as possible that would require the least amount of modification to the boat. It has not been implemented yet. What I wound up with is a line based system that uses a single continuous line and can be attached to the transom cleats. It can be quickly disconnected and the traditional inverted V hooked back up also. Here is a link to my design and write up about it https://www.evernote.com/l/Ae2TxuBul...y9xGRA88XoWcIQ.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-22-2016 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the info, blogaugh. The timing is ironic because the guy I bought the boat from and I are both engineers and we were just discussing how to set up a boom vang and a traveler very similar to what you showed. We like your design better and he's planning to implement it on one of his boats as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate you sharing that info with me.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-22-2016 Thread Starter

Sorry, blobaugh not blogaugh.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-22-2016

Hehe, no problem!

Def report back on how it works out for you. I have not implemented it yet myself. If you get to it first I would love to know your experience.
post #19 of 20 Old 2 Weeks Ago

WolfmanBob did you ever try out that traveler setup?

Another thought just hit me, from the the new Beneteaus that were at the Seattle boat show. They have an arch over the cockpit that has two connection points on it about 45 degrees off the centered boom. No traveler. This supposedly allows you to get the same results as a traveler. Eliminates a lot of possible failure points, extra lines, and a traveler in the way somewhere to manage. For cruising I can see it being effective, for racing it might work but I would want the connection points further out.

Anyways, you could potentially run a system like this of the existing inverted V connection points. It may be what the designer was originally going for actually but having the mainsheet above the point of the V seems to have ruined the usefulness.

Beneteau has a page devoted to this system Mainsail arch | Beneteau

Here is a pic of it. Note the single solid connection on the boom. From there it runs up and down to create its V, and then up to the front. That last part could be changed, otherwise it might be worth trying.

post #20 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

No, blobaugh, I haven't done anything with the traveler yet. That setup is interesting. It certainly seems simpler.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.