SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

standing rigging

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I replaced all my standing rigging last year - and kept the original set which is in good shape except for a few kinks in the backstay. If anyone needs to replace some rigging I'll be happy to donate to another S23.

#4 · (Edited)
This sounds like a turnbuckle issue.. seized or galled, most likely. At this point, it's likely you would be wise to replace the lot anyway, including the turnbuckles.

You could use wire and the fittings you describe, but I wonder how much you'll really save over having the rigging prepared by a pro (esp since you're going to need new turnbuckles either way... On that boat the cost would not be prohibitive.

#5 ·
Thanks for the response! The turnbuckles move freely, the threads of the bolts arent galled...But the shroud that is loose has its turnbuckle tightened all the way and is still slack, and the taught shroud has its turnbuckle loosened to its last few threads, do the shrouds stretch? Why would the starboard lower shroud be so short that the turnbuckle had no more room to be loosened? If I just decide to have a pro rigger do it, what do you think it might cost me, ballpark? I appreciate your time and all information, thank you for reading!

#8 ·
The problem is that the strboard, aft, lower shroud, is too tight, but the turnbuckle is already loosened to its last couple threads. And the opposite port, fwd lower shroud is too loose with the turnbuckle tightened all the way. Im starting to think maybe a previous owner hastily replaced the shrouds and didnt get the length right, or something. The chainplates are ok. Im stumped. May just have to get a pro...Thanks for all the ideas and responses, if you know of a good rigger on LI, let me know!

#9 ·
Double (fore and aft) lowers?? maybe someone got them crossed up and you've got a fwd/aft going forward and a fwd/aft going aft.. A tape measure, a bosuns chair and some help may figure that one out...

It will also be worth your while to check that the masthead is centered on the boat. Take a halyard and stretch it to the deck, chainplate or other reference point on the deck, and see if the same point on the opposite side is the same distance. If not, the mast head is off center athwartships.. loosen your lowers and fix that by adjusting the cap (upper) shrouds.. then see how your lowers look when the mast is straight under the now-centered masthead.

#10 ·
There are three shrouds each side, the middle being the upper, the two lowers arent crossed if thats what you mean. But, are the fwd n aft lowers different lengths? Thanks for the trick using the halyard to see if the mast is centered athwarships, Mine is not. But since the strbrd, lower, aft shroud on the side to which its leaning is not adjustable, due to the wire length (t-buckle is also loosened to its last thread), I think Ill just have to get a pro to check it out and do correct measurements. I lack a bosun chair and the confidence to step the mast myself, anyway the two shrouds would still be fairly useless to measure since theyre either too short or long anyway. Thanks a lot for reading and all the help; FASTER, CALEBD, JUST MESSINWIT!!

#11 ·
There are three shrouds each side, the middle being the upper, the two lowers arent crossed if thats what you mean. But, are the fwd n aft lowers different lengths?
This is what I was getting at.. the fwd pair might be different lengths than the aft pair, and someone mixed up one of each.... could explain your issue, esp if the other turnbuckles seem in normal mid range adjustments when the mast is straight and centered.

A few hours of a rigger's time will likely be a good investment, for peace of mind if nothing else..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.