SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   who do you have your spirit insured with ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/81584-who-do-you-have-your-spirit-insured.html)

Southron Spirit 12-10-2011 10:15 AM

who do you have your spirit insured with ?

i called allstate and soon as i told them it was a 1979 they said no thanks .

GoodOldBoater 12-11-2011 02:12 PM

I have my 2008 motorcycle and 1977 boat insured with Progressive - no problem!

PCP 12-11-2011 02:58 PM

Try a boat specialized company like Pantaenius

American Yacht Insurance

That's an international company based on Monaco. I have been insured by them and I thought they had the best prices and coverage till someone make me an offer on behalf of Groupama (the ones from the French boat on the VOR) and I could not believe on that offer :eek:

But they have insurance only on Europe even if my boat will have a world wide insurance, for less than a limited insurance from Pantaenius:cool:.

Regards

Paulo

hellosailor 12-11-2011 03:51 PM

Southron, 30 years is a limit for saome insurers. Others will take older--especially if you are a pre-existing customer. Some will insure "anything" for a current customer, but not right new business for a stranger. Financing, your sailing experience, construction type, also will all affect their decisions. A professional marine brokerage like IMIS can place you almost all the time, sometimes not cost competitive but professional means sometimes you don't get any surprises down the line, either. "Auto" insurers who do boats may not cover environmental damage, wreck removal, and other significant exposures.

SHNOOL 12-11-2011 07:00 PM

Have my 22 yo sailboat insured, my 3 cars, my house, my umbrella policy, and now my new horse trailer all insured with Nationwide. Nobody can touch the prices I am getting, and my agent is the best (yes they get a Christmas present from me this year, as always!).

I always shop other insurance co's but keep coming back to my local nationwide rep, he's nearly impossible to beat. But again, I'm an existing customer. My boat is small, my trailer will be used hard. The horse trailer is 8yo, and we JUST picked it up yesterday. The boat is 22yo worth less than $6k, and they didn't hesitate to insure. I have a loan on the horse trailer, not on the boat.

itsaboat 12-11-2011 07:14 PM

We bought a 1985 PY27 last week and I got about five quotes. Liberty was the one I went with. BoatUS was competitive, but they required a survey which around here was over 10% of the purchase price. I decided to take my chances without one since I had a good knowledge of the boat's history.

bljones 12-11-2011 07:57 PM

My spirit is insured with Beelzebub Mutual. Lucifer insisted on it when I sold my soul to buy a boat.

Lake Superior Sailor 12-11-2011 10:04 PM

Boy; you can't beat the price on insurance from Progressive! At least I haven't yet. -Dale

GoodOldBoater 12-12-2011 10:37 AM

Progressive Insurance for boat and motorcycles

Agreed Progressive Insurance for Good old Boats and motorcycles great deal.

PaulSims 12-14-2011 08:17 PM

I had mine through Foremost in MS. Progressive couldn't beat the price. I'm an Insurance Agent (dirty word) here in MS, and def shopped it around. I can write in most states, so let me know if you can't find something, and I'll check it out.

Paul