SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   LED replacement bulbs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/83468-led-replacement-bulbs.html)

GoodOldBoater 02-04-2012 11:49 AM

LED replacement bulbs

Hey folks -
I want to replace all my bulbs w/ LEDS:
1. Masthead Steaming
2. Stern
3. Bow Navigation Lights
4. Cabin Dome

Any suggestions as to where to purchase (Windyway I know you must have an answer!)

Lake Superior Sailor 02-04-2012 11:59 AM

I got mine off Ebay, great price, lots of selection..Dale

Squidd 02-04-2012 12:32 PM

I just ordered a couple sets off e-bay as well..

They are not the expensive "voltage regulated" type, but I don't have an inboard/charger voltage spike to deal with so I'm thinking they'll be OK...

If not they were only a couple bucks a pop anyway...

windyway 02-04-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodOldBoater (Post 826422)
(Windyway I know you must have an answer!)

Ha Ha Ha Well actually I do! LOL

As for your Nav lights make sure they are rated by your regulating body, that ensures they will work as expected, (more expensive to!) I know, I know I'm a cheap SOB but when it comes to safety I'm not (I actually go the other way). I replaced the cabin lights with automotive LED replacement bulbs, they're great. & I'm guilty of Ebay to your honor I love that place. (Too much!)

windyway 02-04-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidd (Post 826446)
but I don't have an inboard/charger voltage spike to deal with so I'm thinking they'll be OK...

Don't you have a charger on your kicker engine?

Squidd 02-04-2012 01:10 PM

Unfourtunatly no, pull start...

GoodOldBoater 02-04-2012 04:03 PM

I do have a charger on my 9.9 outboard - need for the more expensive LED lights?

windyway 02-04-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodOldBoater (Post 826507)
I do have a charger on my 9.9 outboard - need for the more expensive LED lights?

Unless your sailing at night, you don't need the nav lights being LED, if your running the engine. The alternator on the engine is more than ample for any light you may be using, LED or not. Even if your only using the lights for a few hours, with a good battery, there'll be no problem. I've rarely sailed at night, much preferring a sheltered cove or bay to relax in. Chargers on the old smaller outboards are usually 6 amp, the newer ones are 10 amp. I've replaced the cabin lights with LED's cause I DO use these with the anchor down, sometimes for 4 or 5 hours at a time (also keep the GPS powered all night for the anchor alarm it has). In the past I've only had 1 battery but it was an Optimus blue top deep cycle D31M & had absolutely no issues with power, but I always carried a second portable one on board to start the engine if needed. (never did). This year I put a second bank in, for 3 reasons; 1) obvious extra power, 2) more weight down lower in the boat, 3) balancing the C of G so I can load the boat on to the trailer easier.

GoodOldBoater 02-05-2012 04:58 PM

I actually sail quite a bit a night - it's a great time on the Chesapeake bay and the sunsets are always breathtaking - and creates some wind as well. I'll look into LEDS for all my lights - wouldn't mind brighter nav lights as the motor boaters are always zipping around. I was considering a masthead nav light but I like the all-round steaming light I have - doubles as an anchor light too. That will be the first to get a LED - then the cabin.