Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012

windyway is on a distinguished road
Re: swing keel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST MESSIN WITH IT View Post
Hey Thanks for the pictures guys, a couple of questions.

Is the 47 inches the finished length or the before repair length.

What would be the finished length

Assuming a circlular section at the top of the keel with circumference of about 15inches with the keel pin in the center is 1 3/4 inches thick, does the keel narrow along its length? Just thinking that top section of the keel must fit pretty snug to reduce the movement during use, but the rest needs to move in and out freeley.

Just how much side to side movement ( wiggle room ) do you have on the keel. To make it snug fit could i cut a thin 15 inch diameter nylon washer.

Thanks for advising guys , you been very helpful
The 47" is before the repair but not much was added to it. You can get the exact length by measuring from the pivot pin hole to the aft of the keel trunk, you want the keel built as long as it can be & still fit inside the trunk.
The keel does narrow along its length, but only on the fore & aft ends after the 15" circumference of the upper keel it narrows to 1" (on the fore & aft ends).
The 15" keel circumference is a very snug fit in the slot, even paint too thick will give you trouble. That being said, it does wiggle a bit, so if the pivot pin hole (bushing) in the keel is too snug fitting it will rip the fiberglass shell around it. Ask me how I know! LOL What I did was I inserted a large bronse bushing through the keel pin hole & epoxied it in well. then I inserted a nylon bushing that was the size of the pin only in the center but tapered out about 1/8" on each end (sort of slightly funnel shaped) this allowed the keel to have it's flexibility, the nylon also allowed smooth swinging. After 2 years of service I took the keel out this weekend & the pivot pin hole in the keel was as structurally sound as when I installed it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012

makenmend is on a distinguished road

Only just now getting to the final phase of restroring my Spirit 23'.
Lifted boat off trailer to check for blisters at bunk area's, check centre board, and weld trailer/replace bunks.
The CB pic is after a lite sanding but its fully intact just needs tlc
Attached Thumbnails
swing keel problem-imgp4544_resize.jpg   swing keel problem-imgp4542_resize.jpg  

Last edited by makenmend; 06-06-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012

Found cable to CB had parted, small # of blister's ground our & filled.Grafite /epoxy applied, new cable + hardware obtained, so final steps getting close. refit CB/cable,the cable attachment was about to fail, so it has to be repaired,add extra gudgeon to rudder,trailer still to do as well.

windyway to do your roller mod for theCB cable did you cut off the top of the CB trunk or build it up ??

MM
Old 06-06-2012
Spiritista

rquadri is on a distinguished road

Watch out for those pads on the beautiful trailer pick. The aft ones can cause a dent in the hull! (no ribs).I'm swapping out the ones in my float-on with fore/aft runners from midships to near stern.
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenmend View Post
Found cable to CB had parted, small # of blister's ground our & filled.Grafite /epoxy applied, new cable + hardware obtained, so final steps getting close. refit CB/cable,the cable attachment was about to fail, so it has to be repaired,add extra gudgeon to rudder,trailer still to do as well.

windyway to do your roller mod for theCB cable did you cut off the top of the CB trunk or build it up ??

MM
If you look up into the CB slot in the shoal keel you'll see a recessed area that the cable comes out of, the pulley bracket fits into this upper recessed area.
Old 06-08-2012

windway
Yes I see the reccess your refering to,but how did you install the bracket and roller you fabricated. did you simply reave the new cable, run it through the block from below then wigle the assembly into the recess, then attach to the CB.
If so I'd be concerned the assembly would drop down when you lower the CB.

Sorry for all the questions, the idea is a good one, just can't see in my mind how it's installed.

MM
Old 06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenmend View Post
windway
Yes I see the reccess your refering to,but how did you install the bracket and roller you fabricated. did you simply reave the new cable, run it through the block from below then wigle the assembly into the recess, then attach to the CB.
If so I'd be concerned the assembly would drop down when you lower the CB.

Sorry for all the questions, the idea is a good one, just can't see in my mind how it's installed.

MM
If you look at the dwg carefully you'll see a nut welded on the underside of the top of the bracket, (the one that captures the cable in the pulley) I drilled a hole in the keel slot for a bolt that goes thru this nut held with large washers on top and sealed. This bolt washer & nut along with the cable fitting on the back hold the bracket up in place. In 2 years of service there has been no issue with the bracket setup. (just the swagged fitting on the cable slipping off. You need to double up on that)