SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   have you replaced the outboard motor mount ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/88017-have-you-replaced-outboard-motor-mount.html)

Southron Spirit 05-30-2012 09:44 PM

have you replaced the outboard motor mount ?

have you replaced the outboard motor mount on your spirit ?
what brand did you go with .
i have a 6hp 4 stroke 59 lbs and i need to replace my motor mount its toast.

windyway 06-02-2012 12:01 AM

Re: have you replaced the outboard motor mount ?

Just make one out of aluminum. I did it's awesome! I'm using a 9.9 4 stroke at 129 lbs.

rquadri 06-06-2012 03:03 PM

I put a 9.9 Honda on a Garelick SS 4-stroke mount. It allows me to raise it out of the water completely when heeled over....

Southron Spirit 06-25-2012 02:33 PM

i got the garrelick mount it is several inches wider then the old mount i am wondering if epoxy putty would be ok for filling the old 3/8 " holes that the old motor mount used , im going to put a piece of a cutting board between the mount and the hull, but would still like to fill the holes .
tia

rquadri 06-25-2012 03:41 PM

I got the Panther 550408SS Light Weight SS 4 stroke, for my 9.9 Honda. I filled the prior holes with Epoxy, after reaming them clean with a drill bit. I glued (5200) a primed and painted piece of 3/8 aluminum to to the inside of the transom (through the Port locker), to reinforce everything. Then I layed out the new mount holes and installed the mount. It was tricky to get the mount located right and avoid interference from the rails. I got my mount from boatfix.com.

windyway 06-25-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southron Spirit (Post 888781)
i got the garrelick mount it is several inches wider then the old mount i am wondering if epoxy putty would be ok for filling the old 3/8 " holes that the old motor mount used , im going to put a piece of a cutting board between the mount and the hull, but would still like to fill the holes .
tia

Absolutely use epoxy putty. I used watertite from Interlux It's a good idea to ream the holes a little larger so there is a clean surface to adhere to. I also counter sunk the mount holes on the transom so when I put sealant on the new mount it forms kinda like an 'O' ring.

Southron Spirit 07-23-2012 09:05 PM

i have the mount installed on my boat , i removed one of the springs and i can lift the 59 lb motor and mount up with just my weak hand . hope to take it out and run it on tuesday .

Southron Spirit 07-24-2012 10:57 PM

totally bummed out , while the mount and the motor looks fine when dry , when the boat is launced its like 6 " to high ,the old mount swing down further then the new one does .
pulled the motor back off , going to wait until i can go out there at like 6am and pull the mount back off .. ugh

Southron Spirit 07-24-2012 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the mount needs to be lowered

windyway 07-24-2012 11:49 PM

Been there done that like 4 times! That's what sea trials are LOL ! Check the water line on the boat & go as low as you can but still raise it by hand cause it will still come out of the water in high waves.