SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   Spirit 23 Swing Keel Cable Mod Dwg (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/88193-spirit-23-swing-keel-cable-mod-dwg.html)

windyway 06-03-2012 05:02 PM

Spirit 23 Swing Keel Cable Mod Dwg

2 Attachment(s)
If something isn't done about the way the cable exits the hull in the shoal keel pocket for the swing keel eventually the cable WILL break. After 2 hours of photoshop here is my solution to the issue for you. I've made this bracket & pulley setup about 2 years ago, & just recently removed it to replace the swaged fitting that slipped off. ( I found out that 1X19 cable needs 2 fittings swaged on & I only had one!) The cable otherwise was in perfect condition. I used 316 stainless for the nuts, welds, metal bracket, & cable. Dimensions are not critical, fabricate what you think is required, ANYTHING is better than what is there.
By the way, the recess that the pulley bracket sits in is already there in the upper part of the keel slot. There was no fiber-glassing required for this mod, just drilling a hole for the upper attach bolt.

WhoDat 06-03-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Spirit 23 Swing Keel Cable Mod Dwg

Thank you very much for creating and posting this picture. I understand better now.

windyway 06-03-2012 11:56 PM

Welcome

Southron Spirit 06-05-2012 02:58 PM

i do have one question ,how did you get your arm up in there , seemed like a really tight fit to me while i was trying to remove my swing keel underwater

windyway 06-05-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southron Spirit (Post 880948)
i do have one question ,how did you get your arm up in there , seemed like a really tight fit to me while i was trying to remove my swing keel underwater

MY arms fits up there, you could go on a diet! ;) Seriously, though once I dry fit the pulley bracket & make sure the holes line up for the attach bolts, I loaded the upper side of the fitting with 3M 5200 sealant & raised it up on a stick. (I didn't want my hands full of sealant!) Have someone hold it while you put the cable fitting on & then the upper bolt.

blobaugh 06-08-2012 04:03 PM

When I did mine the guy I was working with actually just cut the piece in the cabin out. It is a lot easier to work on that way, but it involves more risk of water coming back in if not replaced and sealed properly. Meant nobody had to go on a diet though ;)

Southron Spirit 06-08-2012 08:35 PM

ok, ok , i work for a living my arms kinda look like popyes :)

windyway 06-08-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southron Spirit (Post 882454)
ok, ok , i work for a living my arms kinda look like popyes :)

Hey I work for a living to! Just a skinny living I guess! :laugher

windyway 12-28-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blobaugh (Post 882356)
When I did mine the guy I was working with actually just cut the piece in the cabin out. It is a lot easier to work on that way, but it involves more risk of water coming back in if not replaced and sealed properly. Meant nobody had to go on a diet though ;)

When you cut the piece out how thick was the fiberglass ? I would think that there is more than just the risk of water leakage, that piece of fiberglass there supports the keel when up & provides the base for lifting it. I'd be too chicken to just cut it off & glass it back on. But as they say...whatever floats your boat! :laugher ...or NOT ! :eek:

blobaugh 12-28-2012 10:21 PM

Oh sorry, a buddy did it when I was not there. Should not be too hard to figure out though. Pull the hose off the center board slot, stick a pencil through and measure from the pencil.

Mine is held on with epoxy now so I unfortunately cannot do it