SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   Dry rot in starboard bulkhead (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/88774-dry-rot-starboard-bulkhead.html)

dthriftusa 06-19-2012 11:59 AM

Dry rot in starboard bulkhead

Kept noticing that my shrouds were loosening even with split rings in the turnbuckles. Found that the starboard bulkhead had dry rot around and under the bulkhead mounting plates. This allowed for the bolts to travel upward about 3/4". The dry rot was only visible looking aft from the v-berth.

Obviously the bulkhead had long term water damage that was not obvious. New bulkhead in place and everything is tight with no motion.

Reminder to all that the through deck joint at the chain plate must be inspected and sealed against water intrusion. I have owned this boat for a year. A sweet sailing boat.

okumejoe

PaulSims 06-21-2012 12:49 PM

Re: Dry rot in starboard bulkhead

I almost lost my mast to this. Bulkhead gave way, and the deck caught the bottom bolt on the chain plate. Easy fix, but you might as well pull both sides out and re-cut the wood. I, just used Marine plywood, and it worked great.

dthriftusa 08-06-2012 11:22 AM

You were right. The port bulkhead is showing signs of distress. A sharp awl test indicates spongy wood benieth the veneer. It would not be so bad to have to replace it except that it is 108 here.

Gives me an excuse to rip put the old liner on the port side as well.

tschmidty 11-20-2012 04:51 PM

I need to replace mine as well, tons of rot. Does anyone know off hand what type of plywood that is? Teak, Okume, Mahogany, etc? May end up ordering it online since there doesn't seem to be any local and would like to get the same plywood if possible.

dthriftusa 11-20-2012 05:02 PM

I also thought about those options, but ended up using a high end oak cabinet grade plywood. Plenty of strength and easy to find. My logic was that if I keep the wood dry the more expensive okume or mahogany would not be needed. Less than a sheet is needed to do both. The only problem I had was a previous owner had epoxied over theh retaining bolts.

Hint: Remove the toilet roll holder to access the retaining nuts for the starboard side bulkhead.

As for original material mine had a mahogany veneer on the outside. '78 model

tschmidty 11-20-2012 05:08 PM

Thanks. I may end up doing something like that as well especially because I have epoxy enough to coat it well. And if you keep the chain plates from leaking you won't have to worry about it.

On the other hand I'd hate to do it twice. On the third hand, I can't go sail this boat until I get those fixed!