SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Spirit 6.5/23 Boom Vang/Jack

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  windyway 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a 6.5 which I believe is very much like the Spirit 23. It has the pop-top and appears to be very much the same. Can someone tell me or send me a picture of how the lower block of the boom vang/jack attaches to the mast or the deck? I can't find any pictures and really need some help. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have also just picked up a 6.5 and am looking for information on the same thing. I also have questions on how the boom attaches to the mast. If you have any photos I would appreciate them. I have been looking for a copy of the boat manual if you have any suggestions. Sorry that I am not writing with answers, this is my first boat and I have many more questions than anything else.

#4 ·
The Spirits Pop Top attaches to the mast differently depending on the year of the boat. I've been inquiring for over a year now for pictures of this area for a 1979 boat with no joy. All I've done with my boat is to attach a ring through the forward part of the pop top and once it's raised it clips into the sliding bar under the gooseneck fitting. My boat is stored for the winter now and is inaccessible for pictures.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply windyway, I wish there was some more info out there. I think the idea is that the vang and the pop top both connect to the slide on the mast...therefore you can use the vang as a lift for the top. My problem is the hardware on the top is missing and judging the distance is difficult with out stepping the mast. i would just like to see the orginal hardware to get idea on lenght and angle.

#8 · (Edited)
here are some pictures i took today
i am thinking of moving the boom vang block up to that loop and cutting off the tab that is sticking out , if you look infront of my finger you will see the big gouge that is in the top hatch
from that tab every time you lower or raise the mast ..
what is the purpose of that tab it only slides up and down a couple of inches

Attachments

#10 ·
I have the same set up as pictured, minus the vang bail, which I think someone added to yours. I believe both the pop top and the vang connect to the slide hence the 2 holes. If so, the closed top will keep the vang down and when you release the top, you can use the vang to hold the top up, at least till you can set slide stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.