SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   Can't get my windows to stop leaking! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/91465-cant-get-my-windows-stop-leaking.html)

psdeevers 08-28-2012 09:06 PM

Can't get my windows to stop leaking!

The frames are cracked in and out. I pulled them out last year, cleaned them up, sealed them up with a variety of different "stuff", they still leak. Looking for ideas.

Thanks
Pete

Faster 08-28-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Can't get my windows to stop leaking!

What boat? What kind of ports are they? Plastic? Aluminum? There are a variety of solutions but it does depend to a degree on the way the boat's put together and what's there now.

psdeevers 08-29-2012 08:29 AM

I thought I was posted in "North American" as in "Spirit 23", any way thanks for replying, they are plastic frames. Outside looks like UV degeneration, inside just broken. The 1/4" Lexan (or what ever) just sits into the outer frame. When it rains water just drips from the lowest point inside so I can't see what is actually leaking on the out side. When I look it all looks nicely beaded outside??

Thanks
Pete

Faster 08-29-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psdeevers (Post 915596)
I thought I was posted in "North American" as in "Spirit 23",

OOPs..... sorry - missed that. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by psdeevers (Post 915596)
... they are plastic frames. Outside looks like UV degeneration, inside just broken. The 1/4" Lexan (or what ever) just sits into the outer frame. When it rains water just drips from the lowest point inside so I can't see what is actually leaking on the out side. When I look it all looks nicely beaded outside??

Thanks
Pete

If the frames themselves are not cracked/leaking and you can actually dissasemble them then cleaning them up, reinstalling and rebedding the frames (and the lenses in the frames) with Dow Corning 795 should take care of it for you. Avoid using high strength adhesives like 4200 or 5200.

If the frames are damaged, there are aftermarket companies that make very nice replacement ports but they are not inexpensive. If that's not for you then the option of bolting/gluing on slightly oversize acrylic ports may be worth considering, again using DC 795. There are several references to this process elsewhere on this and other sites.

Good luck.. few things more of a PITA than persistent rain leaks.

SHNOOL 08-29-2012 12:19 PM

Pry them out, template them in plywood...
buy some acrylic same thickness 1/4" maybe?
buy one of these 3 flute router bits to cut the acrylic with a routerFlush Trim Router Bits 3 Flute - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Carbide Tipped Router Bits
Seal window with adhesive, recommend Dow 795 adhesive

I am told it's what Catalina uses on their newer boats. Now, I always thought anything silicone based was bad.

Someone posted their results on another board on this very subject, and since my windows leak like a sieve as well, and I have alum frames, I thought I'd ditch the frames, cut out for a new shape, bevel the edges, and do exactly as I describe above this winter.

So I think Faster gives good advice.

psdeevers 08-30-2012 08:34 AM

I think it's the frames that are the problem. Two parts that don't have anything to do with each other. The windows themselves seat in the outer frame. When they are all disassembled you can see the core of the cabin top.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!
Petec