SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   replacing the interior cabin sides and shelf fabric? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/92662-replacing-interior-cabin-sides-shelf-fabric.html)

dthriftusa 10-02-2012 02:03 PM

replacing the interior cabin sides and shelf fabric?

Has anyone replaced the fabric hull coverings in the cabin? I removed mine when replacing the bulkheads in my 23K. They were pretty tired and stained. Next I will scrape off the foam backing and paint before recovering.

Any suggestions as to which fabric to use and where to locate it? Does anyone offer a fabric kit or paper patterns for our boat?

Any suggestions welcome.
thanks

blobaugh 10-03-2012 07:20 PM

Re: replacing the interior cabin sides and shelf fabric?

What kind of fabric does yours have. Mine is a carpet. Wondering if one of ours is not stock?

dthriftusa 10-04-2012 09:11 AM

You are right about the carpet. I was being delicate. It was an off-white carpet with a foam backing glued in place. I might smooth with filler before painting and leave the carpet off.

miatapaul 10-04-2012 10:11 AM

Sailrite sells some very nice vinyl that has foam backing that can be glued in place. It has great reviews from DIY installers for ease of installation. I personally think the idea of Carpet is nasty as it tends to hold moisture, even foam backed vinyl can hold moisture. One boat I am looking at just has raw painted fiberglass, but it has a nice almost grass-cloth like texture to it. Filler may work, just make sure you use one that will not absorb moisture. I think painted finish is best, as it will stay clean and dry.

dthriftusa 10-04-2012 10:29 AM

Thanks, MiataPaul. Your advice is the direction I will probably head.

MMR 10-04-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthriftusa (Post 928874)
Has anyone replaced the fabric hull coverings in the cabin? I removed mine when replacing the bulkheads in my 23K. They were pretty tired and stained. Next I will scrape off the foam backing and paint before recovering.

Any suggestions as to which fabric to use and where to locate it? Does anyone offer a fabric kit or paper patterns for our boat?

Any suggestions welcome.
thanks

We redid the hull lining in the V-berth in our Hunter, using vinyl headliner from Joann Fabrics and 3M contact adhesive. Because the fiberglass was pretty rough we used some thin foam against the fiberglass prior to putting the headliner on. Worked ok and provided an easy to clean surface that resisted mildew.

Seems to me the stuff we used was labeled "automotive", but worked just fine in the boat.

windyway 10-06-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blobaugh (Post 929400)
What kind of fabric does yours have. Mine is a carpet. Wondering if one of ours is not stock?

Carpet? Carpet? I got mine with white vinyl & replaced it with blue. Did these come with carpet or vinyl??

Make sure you wear a proper fitting air mask or put lots of high volume fans in the cabin. Those glue fumes can knock you out in a confined area

Southron Spirit 11-30-2012 04:04 AM

my hull is some what sticky fiberglass unpainted i guess the previous owner took off what ever was on there , i am thinking of white FRP fiberlass pannels glued in place

dthriftusa 11-30-2012 09:20 AM

I still need to scrap all of the foam backing off before installing the new fabric. Will probably use foam backed vinyl. I had not considered using FRP panels. This would work. Is there any concern with the expansion & contraction of the material?

I have been busy sailing, had the boat surveyed, replaced the power panel and painted the bottom since my last post. My boat stays in the water year round.

Faster 11-30-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southron Spirit (Post 955065)
my hull is some what sticky fiberglass unpainted i guess the previous owner took off what ever was on there , i am thinking of white FRP fiberlass pannels glued in place

You'll usually have trouble putting flat panel material onto the compound curves of the inner hull (ironically called ceilings!)

I think carpet is generally a bad idea anywhere on board other than the odd small mat, but a non absorbent vinyl/foam with the ability to take some shape should be alright.