SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   North American Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/)
-   -   Removing Centerboard in Winter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/north-american-yachts/96204-removing-centerboard-winter.html)

tschmidty 01-30-2013 08:38 AM

Removing Centerboard in Winter

Anyone have suggestions on how to remove the centerboard when it is too cold to jump in the water? Besides the obvious solution, a lift.

The cable is broken and my worry is that when I back it off the trailer the centerboard won't have enough room to drop and will dig in at the bottom of the ramp. I can pull the pivot pin but then that just means it will drop into the water making for a wet retrieval.

The board is NOT buoyant, is it? I think it weighs about 70 pounds, is that right? If it is 70 lbs, that makes it kind of hard to just drill a small hole and attach a line to it that I can then pull it to shore with.

Just curious if anyone has suggestions. I will check on prices for a lift but figured I'd check to see if anyone had a better idea.

chucklesR 01-30-2013 08:51 AM

Re: Removing Centerboard in Winter

You can, sometimes, run a line under the boat from side to side and work from the bow back to lift it up (cradle the board).
A 3 inch strap works better than a line (wider to grip the board).

I've done this with the 500 pound board on a Hunter 216, a 70 pound board should be a piece of cake.

Once the board is up, put a line on it so it won't drop when you launch. Then wait til spring.

blobaugh 02-01-2013 01:32 PM

I did a similar thing with mine. The cable was not working properly after it was on the hard for painting so I put a strap around it before tossing the boat on the trailer. Worked fine

Southron Spirit 02-01-2013 08:01 PM

when i pulled my board off in the water it did not just drop out i had to really work to get it out of there , what you have to worry about is if your boat does not get over the keel board on the trailer and the board its jammed in the trailer frame like mine could not get it to go either way ,stuck on the ramp end up dragging it out of the water and cutting the damaged section off .
have been sailing without it since.
i think mine weighed about 50 lbs , i tied arope around several times and tied the rope to the trailer so i could not lose it when it came off .

blobaugh 02-04-2013 05:36 PM

I sailed for an entire season without a centerboard at all and did not even notice

Ben Lobaugh Online ZDD: Lucky sailing this summer

tschmidty 10-14-2013 04:56 PM

Removing Centerboard in Winter

Well I managed to get mine out with it on the trailer since it was busted in half! I was hoping it was just cracked so I could repair it but it looks like I'll be rebuilding it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/15/pumejemu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

CalebD 10-15-2013 02:41 PM

That is not something that will just buff out.

Looks like wood/plywood was used as a core material.
Suggest you build a new one over this winter without using wood as a core material.

honeycomb at Express Composites, Inc.

blobaugh 10-21-2013 10:34 AM

@tschmidty is yours wood? I do not remember mine being wood when it was looking like that. It was a couple years ago now though, but I think it was some sort of composite foamy stuff with all the weight in the bottom? Maybe I am way off here. Mine was completely shattered so I do not have a clear idea of the original. I rebuilt mine with plywood that I sealed. As a temporary measure until I can build a real centerboard.

tschmidty 10-21-2013 11:08 AM

Mine was actually a high density foam inside to layers of fiberglass. It looked like to molds of fiberglass binded them filled with foam. I am going to build something out of red cedar and glass it with fiberglass, with some lead added in to make it negatively buoyant.