SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Danish Islands, Baltic

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
Hi -

Just noticed there are no posts regarding northern Europe here at all. So I thought I might add one.
I'm a novice sailor, but I was out for the first time in the Baltic a few weeks ago, for a week cruising around the Danish Islands in the Baltic.
What a great time! Sailing is almost always fun, but there were a few things about the area I liked particularly.
First off, it's really beautiful, with lots of little islands and channels, as well as the open sea of the baltic. The area is anything but urban, with picturesque farmhouses and old fishing villages all over the place. The wind in the baltic tends to be good, we never had less than Bft 5, and we went up to 8, which some of the more expirienced sailors on board claimed was not so good, but it made for fast, fun sailing and I had the feeling I was doing something exciting. So I liked it quite a bit. These conditions are not all that unusual there apparantly - which contrasts to near-zero wind in parts of the med where most of my friends sail.
In addition - you can't throw a brick without hitting a harbor of some sort around there. One of the crew claimed, (and she would know) that the area has one of the highest densities of harbors anywhere in Europe...and I can believe it. This was nice, as many are small, cute little things, but there was always room, and above all, cheap! We were sailing a Bavaria 37, and we spent only about 100 Euros for the whole week in harbor fees. All of them were quiet, most were within about 100 yards of their respective town or city centers. There was always something to do, or somewhere to go.
The weather was fresh...but swimming was ok, and at night you could wear a wolly sweater...really great.
All over - everyone is out sailing. Not crowded, but friendly. Sailing here is a normal part of life, and most of the boats are small and simple, not like the million-dollar ego jobs I am used to seeing in the med. I saw so many families out on cute little folkeboots (a type) that I think I am changing my dream of a big fourty footer....and will look for one of these, cheap, and low maintenence boats for my family too.
Also - Harbors and ammenities everywhere were looked after with Northern European efficiency, and almost everything was new, or newly renovated.

Its not the blue-green waters of the Med, but its relaxed, and a great place to go with little kids. Plus - its a lot cheaper than the med. I am sure we will be back soon!

Mick

See less See more
#2 ·
Mick,
Thanks, You just reminded me of why I love my Country and the Baltic.
We had a great summer, but also experienced relatively heavy winds and plenty rain.
Scotland and Norway is also something I will strongly recommend as it is extremely beautiful, but so is Sweden and Finland.. :)

#3 ·
Good to see the input. The hope with these revised destination forums is to encourage people to tell us all about their home waters and regale us with tales of their cruising and of course their favourite places to drop an anchor.

If you have a quick look in the PNW section you'll see that I have started a list of cruising guides and associated publications for that region.

Should you have any suggestions for and European destination, please feel free to throw them in and hopefully we'll end up with something approaching a comprehensive list.

Cheers

TD

ps - the only guides I have for Europe are the RCC Pilots for various areas and Armitage and Brackenbury "Norwegian Cruising Guide" but that is quite old (revised edition I have is 1996).

#7 ·
The Baltic the Swedish and Danish archipelago is a place where I want to cruise someday. No doubt about its beauty….but the Med is great too;).

Regarding the boats, sure they look simple and nice but Nordic boats particularly the Danish ones are very expensive boats. The only time I sailed there was on Danish Luffe 4004. Beautiful boat, but not properly inexpensive:D.

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.