SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Norway Charts / Chart Books

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  haffiman37 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there

We are planning to travel to Norway and are struggling to understand or source what the best charts are.

We've been advised NOT to use Admiralty charts (but I don't know why not) and to use the N-Series of Charts for appropriate detail

We aren't travelling the Whole of the Norwegian coast but plan to focus primarily on Sognefjord, including the branches Naeroyfjord and Fjaerdlandfjord

Any suggestions for charts and chart books will be very much appreciated. We already have electronic charts for the area.

Also where best to purchase these from (on line)? I don't mind if the charts are in Norwegian, but if English language charts exist that would be a help.

Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
Doctor with GPS Garmin from Saint Martin to Norway, Europe from March 2010

Hi marinegirl405! Santa Rosa, Costa Rica, 21.02.2010

The GPS system Garmin with batteries for 35 days and boardpharmacy about 4 kg. are available.
It is possyble to organise all charts for Norway.
I'm available for - unpaid and non-paying CREW POSITIONS from March 2010 from Saint Martin, Caribbean to Norway, Europe. I fly Fr. 05.03.2010 from San Jose, Costa Rica via Miami, USA to Saint Martin, Caribbean.
I will pay all my expences. Currently I am working as a voluntary Doctor, etc., with one expedition into the jungles of Costa Rica from September 2009 to February 2010. Therefore, from March 2010 I am on a yacht rendition of America Saint Martin, Caribbean entirely to Europe free of charge. Before a long time I have the License for all oceans of the world up to 10 GRT successfully made. Therefore I am happy as a doctor, co-master and sailor available. I have sailing experience. This is my 84-th www listing. More about me: world citizen with Austrian, EU passport, 57, German and nine other languages, widower, private person, non smoker, non drinker, no wishis-happy, dentist out of service, but a portable unit for tartar removal with ultra sound, etc. is in Europe available. My focus is on the psychiatry and psychology with crisispedagogy & management, life coaching, philosophic conversations.
Your Doc.

#3 ·
Im in Bergen which is right up your alley and I use standard electronic charts(aymarine and some old norwegian paper charts to do my weekend/day sailing around the fjords. Your electronic charts should be OK. Its very deep water here and a few bridges but its mostly shore side moorings that you need to find and there everywhere on your charts. Theres not many marinas or fueling spots but Im sure you know thatand will be well provisioned. Have fun !

#4 · (Edited)
Kredit - I think we will be either checking in or out at Bergen - so we will indeed be in your area!

America Yacht Europa - Hi there. Although we are in America, the boat is currently in Scotland. We are not looking for crew, we are a husband and wife team and like to keep the romance of just two on the boat :) Good luck in your travels

All other interested parties. We have the Navionics CF/49XG chip which covers the whole of Norway for our Raymarine chartplotter, and we have the following paper charts for the Fijord we are planning to spend our time -

Chart N307 / NW0307 -Stavanger - Florø
Chart N121 / NW0121 (was N251) -Ytre Sognefjorden Utgått!!
Chart N122 / NW0122 (was N252) - Indre Sognefjorden Utgått!!

There are Admiralty charts also of the area, we have no experience, but are advised they are not as good as the Norwegian (Statens Kartverk) charts.

We are currently in America, and there seems to be no American supplier for these charts. The Statens Kartverk has an online order form - where you can order charts and have them delivered from Norway - but we found this difficult to Navigate, and spent a lot of time trying to translate Norwegian into English (Learn basic Norwegian in on our to do list!). An email to the Norwegian company provided a number of companies that could supply charts to us - one was in Canada - but unfortunately the would not take a credit card order, and wanted to charge extra to accept a check or a bank transfer (our bank also wanted to charge for a bank transfer to Canada - and the fees for this alone would have been $70). Eventually we decided to purchase on line from a Scottish company (the Inverness branch of Thomas Gunn, and received EXCELLENT service); we'll have the charts delivered to the boat yard we are hauled out at, and will spend a couple of weeks recommissioning the boat. We left it too late to get the charts delivered to the USA before we were to leave.

Here are some links for chart suppliers for the next person in the same situation

sales@nautisk.com

Nautisk Forlag > Home

Thomas Gunn Navigation Services Ltd: admiralty charts, navigation, nautical, compass

Marine Press of Canada
>
> CANADA
> Marine Press of Canada , 640 ST-Paul Street West, Suite 300,
> Montreal H3C 1L9, Canada,
> Tlf. 00 15 48 66 83 42 Fax 00 15 14 86 69 050, sales@marinepress.com

most interesteWe did indeed find paper charts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.