SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Here's another any given weekend - Port Jackson, Sydney, Australia.

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  OziDude 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope he doesn't mind but I'm plagiarising Chall's thread title for a new one. Similar theme, but this time a little slice of Port Jackson, aka Sydney Harbour, PJ being its correct title.

The purpose is to show that while the waters in and around Broken Bay are a bit more natural than you'll find in PJ, there are still plenty of spots where one can drop anchor and feel not at all as if you are pretty much smack bang in the middle of a city of 4.5 million.

This happens to be one of our favourite haunts. It never gets all that crowded even on a holiday weekend, is relatively well protected from the prevailing NE winds that blow through Sydney of a summer and although open to the south is still fairly well sheltered from the SE which is were the nastier stuff comes from down here.

On shore a very pleasant walk takes you around the headland through native mainly eucalypt bushland

including the odd Kookaburra...one of Australia's iconic birds...

with a fine outlook back towards the city

and Balmain , which is where me and the camera shy Wombette

live.

So there you go. A litle bit of Sydney Harbour, not even one of the best bits to be honest, but its quiet and something like 30 minutes from our mooring to this....

Oh yes, the oysters. Sydney Rock Oysters are rightly considered to be either the very best or equal best oyster you can eat. Small in size but sweet and succulant flavour they are sold in restaurants for around $40.00 - $50.00 a dozen. Once virtually wiped out from the harbour they are now making a comeback and are quite edible straight off the rocks once you get away from any industrial pollution.

See less See more
Reactions: JennyWren
#2 ·
Nice post, td.... having such a quiet spot essentially 'in the city' is pretty neat. Envying your weather right now... snowed a little today and more on the way tomorrow night.

#4 ·
TD - Chall made me post here to get your reply count up.

Actually, your area reminds me of Austin's Barton Creek Greenbelt. It runs right through the city and is exactly like being in the wilderness...

Skinnydipping at Campbell's Hole...

Climbing at New Wall...

I love places like this and Port Jackson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.