Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Oceania
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: Tasmania - She even has a Wombat Cove!

TDW my boat 'Ca Va' is currently at Prince of Wales Bay Marina which is a few miles upstream of Hobart.
It is a nearly-new marina, all-weather shelter and the manager there is quite helpful. It lacks somewhat in toilet and shower facilities and it is a fair hike to the nearest bus stop, but if you have ground transport it is an excellent place to step off. Also close by are all the paint shops, hardware stores, engineers and chandleries that you are likely to need. The sailmaker even comes to you!
The cheapest way to haul out is to join a yacht club. The membership fees of the smaller clubs are quite nominal. Just check first that the club does have its own slipway.
Mooring in a river seems to really reduce the hull fouling. Maybe the cold water? Last year I left the boat on a swing mooring at Port Huon and after an idle winter, there was just the slightest growth of weed which easily scrubbed off. I will get two full years out of the one anti-foul, though I don't think POW Bay will be as good because the water is not as clean as Port Huon.

Maybe I should not be spruiking the place so enthusiastically. It will be swamped with blow-ins and I am now so used to having anchorages all to myself....

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 05-23-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
The Wombet is not a morning person.
Um, don't you know a Tazmanian Devil when you see one?
Old 05-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
TDW my boat 'Ca Va' ..... snip ......

Maybe I should not be spruiking the place so enthusiastically. It will be swamped with blow-ins and I am now so used to having anchorages all to myself....
We moor our girl in the Lane Cove River (Sydney) and since doing so I've also noticed a drop off in accumulated hull grunge. Cold water ? Maybe. I've put it down to the volume of fresh water coming down the river.

Huon River is a nice place to be but if we move boat down to Tassie then I suspect we'd want closer to Hobart.

As for spruiking .... yep .... shut up for heaven's sake please. Seriously, Tassie is such a gobsmackingly beautiful place, possibly the best and freshest produce in the country, certainly the cleanest air and other than a couple of dodgey mining and forestry sites the cleanest water as well. Thankfully it is also effing cold and damp at times which keeps the riff raff in Queensland.

cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Um, don't you know a Tazmanian Devil when you see one?

I also know a freshly woken Wombet. The difference is not great.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-10-2014

sctpc is on a distinguished road

So im giving this a bump as Andrew has not been on this for over a year. Have you started you planning yet? or woken from your sleep and done it? I am in the process as I got forced to take four months off to get my holidays down I intend to do it as you stated in the first post except ill come from melbourne and as im telling everyone I will have to go now

Im getting so excited and scared yet its still 100 days away.
Old 09-10-2014

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

It's Tassie's turn to host the wooden boat festival next February, so that is enough of a reason to sail here surely.
I have totally bitten the bullet now, bought a house on the Tasman Peninsula and put down a swing mooring in the bay just below.
People sometimes ask why I would leave Queensland to be here.
It now takes me ten minutes to get from house to dinghy to 'Ca Va'.
Heaven on a stick...!
Faster likes this.
Old 09-11-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

sctpc ...... well we have had the odd cog in the works. Our boat was struck by lightning which took out pretty much every bit of electrical gear on board. For reasons that I won't go into in detail but lets just say incompetent insurer selected yard, it has taken some 18 months to get her back to peak fitness. Our aim is now to be heading south this time next year.

arvicola - I'm not asking for exact location but where on the Tas peninsular ?

Old 09-11-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's Tassie's turn to host the wooden boat festival next February, so that is enough of a reason to sail here surely.
Sorry, that's not enough reason for me to sail there (and I (a) live closer than the Wombat Burrow and (b) have a boat that is more than qualified to enter)..

..but I am planning to fly down in any case.

Quote:
I have totally bitten the bullet now, bought a house on the Tasman Peninsula and put down a swing mooring in the bay just below.
People sometimes ask why I would leave Queensland to be here.
Yep, I would:

WHY??? Are you out of your mind?? You'd need to be at least half freakin' mad to do such a thing!! Have you any idea how frostbitingly bloody cold it gets in winter down there?!?

(Disclaimer: My brother + wife + kid moved from Noosa to a beautiful acreage just outside Sheffield. They lasted a little over 18 months and now live on the Tweed Coast.)

Last edited by Classic30; 09-11-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

C ..... cold down there ? Don't you mean cold down here ?

Old 09-12-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
C ..... cold down there ? Don't you mean cold down here ?
Yep, it's cold down here.. but not as cold as down there... towards Antarctica.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.