Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Oceania
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Tasmania - She even has a Wombat Cove!

I guess you could say Tassie is Australia's answer to the PNW, Scandinavia or New Zealand. A treasure that is even now relatively undiscovered. Tassie suffers from her reputation as being cold (true in winter), wet (mainly true on the West Coast) and a bit of a trial to gettting to (yes, but maybe but )

Weather; Summers in Tassie are fine and mild. OK so its not tropical but its certainly not brass monkey stuff. Winters are chilly no doubt and with the prevailing winds and storms out of the south west, the west coast is probably not the place to be but its still ice free water and no need to haul boats out for the chill.

Wet; Tassies west coast and centre do get a lot of rain but probably not as much as the dreaded PNW where apparently it never stops. East coast Tas gets no more rain than anywhere else on the east coast of Oz indeed overall Hobart is Australia's second driest capital city.

Wild; Of course if you have seen the film of the '98 Sydney - Hobart then you are going to have a few worries about Bass Strait but do remember the Hobart begins in Sydney and runs straight through. A cruising boat is going to rock hop down the coast and hold up in Eden until the perfect weather window appears. Then its get across the straight as fast as possible and rest up in the Furneax Group, a passage of around 220nms. Should be doable without too much bother cos you ain't leaving Eden when its blowing 50 knots out of the south now, are you ?

So all in all the place intrigues me deeply. An anti clockwise circuit makes most sense and again except for the actual west coast runs (approx 100nms to Macquarie Harbour and a further 80nms to Port Davey) there are spots where you can duck in for shelter if needs be.

Anywho ... the purpose of this post was to give a blatant plug to a series of articles by Jack and Jude Binder, running on MySailing.com.au, that cover pretty much all of Tassie only missing out on the east coast which I'm sure or at least hopeful will follow at some stage. If their articles on Macquarie Harbour and Port Davey/Bathurst Harbour don't make you want to go there then you need to check your pulse.

Start with NorthCoast, then King Island and Hunter, Macquarie Harbour, Port Davey and finally the South. Enjoy.

http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/tasmania-north-coast

and yep .... obviously named in honour of yours truly ...

Then go check out the Jack and Jude website -

http://jackandjude.com/

ps (edit) - further reading of the website shows that Banyanda sailed north from MacHarbour so I'm not at all sure if the JJs did the East Coast at all.

I'm hoping by the way to be able to write a review of their latest book "Where Wild Winds Blow" but as it isn't released until mid December I doubt that will be before New Year.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-16-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Further Information
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Beautiful beaches and some very interesting looking harbours (on a number of fronts - the entrances included!)

On the Bucket List??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Fast,

In particular the entrance to MacQuarie Harbour eh ? Known as Hells Gate and when she turns nasty it is apparently very aptly named indeed.

The difficulty that exists for the west coast of Tassie (wct) is that very entrance combined with some particuarly nasty weather and an almost complete lack in the way of refuge. Did you know that wct has about the cleanest air on the planet and some of the largest waves ? Apparently up your way there are bigger but this is still pretty impressive.

They surf at Dangerous Banks, 35km off Tassie - TV & Radio - Entertainment

Going round Tassie has long been my fantasy cruise. Its why we bought the Womboat after all. My guess is that the complete cruise including back up to Sydney will take a year and a half. That is of course if we did come back to Sydney

Cheers

A

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-16-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Looks like an incredible area to explore TD! A bit similar to our PNW and further north, in a tropical kind of way:-)) A year and a half of cruising that area sounds worthy of being on the bucket list to me. Thanks, Tasmania isn't mentioned often in cruising discussions, looks pretty interesting to me.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Looks like an incredible area to explore TD! A bit similar to our PNW and further north, in a tropical kind of way:-)) A year and a half of cruising that area sounds worthy of being on the bucket list to me. Thanks, Tasmania isn't mentioned often in cruising discussions, looks pretty interesting to me.
It will actually snow in Tasmania but only up the top of her tallest peaks none of which are really all that high. It would never snow at sea level but for Australia it can get quite cool. Strahan (main town of MacHarbour is showing 4/20c for today. Sydney is 18/21 coastal Qld 28/32. I'd quite like the idea of starting that cruise late Spring 2012 so we can do the west coast during summer, then hire a car or a van and go see inland Tassie during their winter. We could then finish off eastern Tas and sail back north spring/summer 2013. Sound like a plan ? Does to me.

Old 08-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Tasmania - She even has a Wombat Cove!

Ha .... i'd quite forgotten that I'd posted this thread last year.

Sadly we'll not be kicking off late Spring this year but still hopeful of getting down to Tassie in the very near future.

Old 05-20-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

I have spent the last two summers aboard in Tassie and plan on more. Warmer waters there may be, but I reckon Tassie has got all that an older cruising yachty needs. Short passage times between anchorages, reliable forecasting, mostly good holding ground, good fishing and friendly locals who are really 'into' their sailing. With the exception of the west coast, the seas are not particularly daunting even when it blows hard, mainly because shelter is never far away. I have had far worse off the NSW and WA coasts, made worse because there was nowhere to run and hide. And of course there is that outstanding scenery almost everywhere.
Except for food and grog it is cheaper to keep a boat there than the mainland. Boat registration is very cheap. My last haulout was about half what I paid in the past in Queensland. Marina fees are also a lot less than most places. If you can accept the lack of security, swing moorings are very inexpensive to buy or rent.
The locals tell me that some nice days are to be had in the winter too, so maybe after next summer I won't put the boat to bed after all....
The Following User Says Thank You to arvicola-amphibius For This Useful Post:
tdw (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Howdy Rattty old man, thanks for dropping by.

Tassie has enormous appeal. As you say maybe not quite tropical water temps but warm water only attracts other people and i can do without the crowds.

Cheers

Andrew B

ps - boat in Hobart or further south ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
I have spent the last two summers aboard in Tassie and plan on more. Warmer waters there may be, but I reckon Tassie has got all that an older cruising yachty needs. Short passage times between anchorages, reliable forecasting, mostly good holding ground, good fishing and friendly locals who are really 'into' their sailing. With the exception of the west coast, the seas are not particularly daunting even when it blows hard, mainly because shelter is never far away. I have had far worse off the NSW and WA coasts, made worse because there was nowhere to run and hide. And of course there is that outstanding scenery almost everywhere.
Except for food and grog it is cheaper to keep a boat there than the mainland. Boat registration is very cheap. My last haulout was about half what I paid in the past in Queensland. Marina fees are also a lot less than most places. If you can accept the lack of security, swing moorings are very inexpensive to buy or rent.
The locals tell me that some nice days are to be had in the winter too, so maybe after next summer I won't put the boat to bed after all....

Old 05-20-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Tasmania? Isn't that where Bugs Bunny found this guy?

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 05-20-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Tasmania? Isn't that where Bugs Bunny found this guy?

The Wombet is not a morning person.