SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Australia online cruising guide

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JackandJude 
#1 ·
Posted in a thread, but think it deserves its own....

At last an Australian Cruising Guide that can be updated ~ view it straight off the net !​

Tasmania
South Australia
Queensland
Mud maps for Kimberely

We're working on the Top end and NW WA. Contributions very welcome please supply in similar format..

This Tasmania Guide is available in 3 formats: printable PDF, iPad or kindle ~ updated and expanded.

Of the others we have found the WA guide to be accurate and useful, updated by contributions. JackandJude.com has anchorages listed for the isolated WA south coast. Plenty of photos to bring reality to the words and diagrams.

See less See more
#3 ·
Aye, dangerous ground that.
We've sailed the strait several times and had a few whizbang sails. Got clobbered too, bound for Hobart from Albany, ended up in Portland instead. Nice place that. Made us very welcome with a key to the hot showers. Met Garry Kerr there too. Top bloke.

Seriously if we could get substantiate details of Victorian anchorages, we'll put them online for everyone to share. We've been into Lakes Entrance but that's about it except for a stormy period at Refuge many many years ago.

#4 · (Edited)
Aye, dangerous ground that.
We've sailed the strait several times and had a few whizbang sails. Got clobbered too, bound for Hobart from Albany, ended up in Portland instead. Nice place that. Made us very welcome with a key to the hot showers. Met Garry Kerr there too. Top bloke.
I'm glad you made it. I don't know too many people who have sailed to Portland deliberately, so it's good to know it's a nice place.. if ever you have to stop in there.

Seriously if we could get substantiate details of Victorian anchorages, we'll put them online for everyone to share. We've been into Lakes Entrance but that's about it except for a stormy period at Refuge many many years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no ideas for you. If you get through The Rip, there are a few nice anchorages at the bottom of Port Phillip - otherwise, there's a few spots in Westernport.

Lakes and Refuge Cove aside, I've heard the Bass Strait islands can also be nice in the right weather. Perhaps a trip sometime for someone braver than me.

Welcome to Sailnet - it's good to have you. :)

#5 · (Edited)
I've got a very readable book on the strait islands, not specifically maritime. The guy who wrote first took off on a small sloop put of Western Port . Was feeling pretty good until he looked up and asked what is all that white stuff. Skipper replied "Bass Strait". Author reported that he then threw up constantly for four days until they made land fall.

I've not sailed the Victorian coast but I've driven the Great Ocean Road. Despite the fact that there are some very pretty spots , there didn't seem to be a lot of places worth visiting by boat. Maybe I'm wrong but the dearth of written material seems to support the theory that there is not a lot of cruising going on other than very local stuff.

Am I wrong in thinking that ?

otoh .... Albany to Hobart is for grown ups not a great big wuss like me. Closest I've been was lowish level by plane and that was almost put the fear of god into me. Mate of mine did Sydney to Fremantle in a tug boat. I believe they were given something of a talking to by the Gulf. Tried to put a brave face on it but somehow I doubt he'd ever do it again.

As for bravery Hartley .... you made it through last year's HCW mate ... that shows a bit of spine ....

#8 ·
Strange how these threads come back to life. And since I'm here, I'll mention a new crusing guide we have just produced - The Coral Sea - NO, not the Barrier Reef - the islets and reef anchorage outside of it extending for the next 500 miles... It's worth shouting us a beer for the fantastic pictures.

BTW: Banyandah is now in Western Australia - we came around the top and should be in Fremantle in a week. Cheers all,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.