Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Oceania
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JackandJude

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012

JackandJude is on a distinguished road
Australia online cruising guide

Posted in a thread, but think it deserves its own....

At last an Australian Cruising Guide that can be updated ~ view it straight off the net !

Tasmania
South Australia
Queensland
Mud maps for Kimberely

We're working on the Top end and NW WA. Contributions very welcome please supply in similar format..

This Tasmania Guide is available in 3 formats: printable PDF, iPad or kindle ~ updated and expanded.

Of the others we have found the WA guide to be accurate and useful, updated by contributions. JackandJude.com has anchorages listed for the isolated WA south coast. Plenty of photos to bring reality to the words and diagrams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JackandJude For This Useful Post:
austintoday (11-20-2013)
Old 09-06-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Australia online cruising guide

Interesting that you missed Victoria... or was that for safety reasons?!?
Old 09-06-2012

Aye, dangerous ground that.
We've sailed the strait several times and had a few whizbang sails. Got clobbered too, bound for Hobart from Albany, ended up in Portland instead. Nice place that. Made us very welcome with a key to the hot showers. Met Garry Kerr there too. Top bloke.

Seriously if we could get substantiate details of Victorian anchorages, we'll put them online for everyone to share. We've been into Lakes Entrance but that's about it except for a stormy period at Refuge many many years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Old 09-07-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
Aye, dangerous ground that.
We've sailed the strait several times and had a few whizbang sails. Got clobbered too, bound for Hobart from Albany, ended up in Portland instead. Nice place that. Made us very welcome with a key to the hot showers. Met Garry Kerr there too. Top bloke.
I'm glad you made it. I don't know too many people who have sailed to Portland deliberately, so it's good to know it's a nice place.. if ever you have to stop in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
Seriously if we could get substantiate details of Victorian anchorages, we'll put them online for everyone to share. We've been into Lakes Entrance but that's about it except for a stormy period at Refuge many many years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no ideas for you. If you get through The Rip, there are a few nice anchorages at the bottom of Port Phillip - otherwise, there's a few spots in Westernport.

Lakes and Refuge Cove aside, I've heard the Bass Strait islands can also be nice in the right weather. Perhaps a trip sometime for someone braver than me.

Welcome to Sailnet - it's good to have you.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've got a very readable book on the strait islands, not specifically maritime. The guy who wrote first took off on a small sloop put of Western Port . Was feeling pretty good until he looked up and asked what is all that white stuff. Skipper replied "Bass Strait". Author reported that he then threw up constantly for four days until they made land fall.

I've not sailed the Victorian coast but I've driven the Great Ocean Road. Despite the fact that there are some very pretty spots , there didn't seem to be a lot of places worth visiting by boat. Maybe I'm wrong but the dearth of written material seems to support the theory that there is not a lot of cruising going on other than very local stuff.

Am I wrong in thinking that ?

otoh .... Albany to Hobart is for grown ups not a great big wuss like me. Closest I've been was lowish level by plane and that was almost put the fear of god into me. Mate of mine did Sydney to Fremantle in a tug boat. I believe they were given something of a talking to by the Gulf. Tried to put a brave face on it but somehow I doubt he'd ever do it again.

As for bravery Hartley .... you made it through last year's HCW mate ... that shows a bit of spine ....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-09-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that ?
No, I think you're pretty close to right. Duck out of cover on a nice day and then duck back in again before the weather turns ugly.

Perhaps one reason for the lack of cruising information is the lack of people who did so and made it back intact..
Old 11-20-2013

austintoday is on a distinguished road

Hopefully it helps for an Australian cruising Adventure!

Thanks,
Austin
Old 11-21-2013

Strange how these threads come back to life. And since I'm here, I'll mention a new crusing guide we have just produced - The Coral Sea - NO, not the Barrier Reef - the islets and reef anchorage outside of it extending for the next 500 miles... It's worth shouting us a beer for the fantastic pictures.

BTW: Banyandah is now in Western Australia - we came around the top and should be in Fremantle in a week. Cheers all,
chall03 and Classic30 like this.

Authors and Filmakers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.