Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > O'Day
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013
repair it all

rustyballast is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank O'Day 30

I need to redo the plumbing and holding tank in my O'Day 30. Neither the tank or plumbing was ever optimal. I have several questions:
1.) For those of you that have O'Day 30s where was the factory holding tank installed? My tank is only 6 gallons and located under the sink in the head vanity.
2.) What was the capacity of the installed tank?
3.) For a new tank, what fittings are recommended? I installed plastic fittings into the 6 gallon tank that I have and they despite use of Teflon tank leaked ever so slightly but enough to stink.

The head is a Raritan PHII and seems to work well. I have the Y valve with a lock (remains locked) which diverts either to holding tank or seacock overboard (if out to sea).

I have been reading much and have settled on Trident 101 hose. Probably will purchase custom Ronco tank. Not sure about fittings. Do not want any leaks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Holding Tank O'Day 30

15 gallon under the vee birth in my boat. I'd say it's original

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

To be functional, you need much more than 6 gallons. Remember, you have to empty the contents of the bowl, then pump enough clean water behind it to move all the waste up to the vented loop (which should be above the waterline at max heel) and then all the way to the tank, wherever it is. A gallon per flush is commonly necessary. If you don't evacuate the rise to the loop, that hose will stink over time. Failing to flush all the contents to the tank is a prime cause of clogging.

Good choice of hose.

Use only barbed fittings with dual hose clamps. Some insanely come with smooth hose fittings. No goop/glue/sealant should ever be necessary. Any pipe fittings on the seacock or diverter should not require any adds to be water tight, but I don't see the harm in teflon tape or pipe dope. Someone may know better here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-13-2013
repair it all

Denise it is interesting that your tank is under the vee berth. Under my vee berth there is a fresh water tank that appears to occupy the entire cavity. This thing must hold 50+ gallons of water and is original. I installed a couple Beckson ports on it that serve well for inspection. There is no room for a holding tank there.

The original owner I am told used a porta potti. There is a large seacock behind the head though that looks as though it came original with the boat.

Perhaps different options when the boat was purchased.

Yes the six gallon capacity is not enough.
Old 08-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I was once told this when it comes to tankage aboard. You can desalinate water or carry spares, you can't make fuel or poop in a full holding tank.

Something to consider in planning.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-13-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Rusty, the water tank in my boat is under the bench on the forward side of the nav station. its 35 gal. I'd guess your boat has been hacked by a PO rusty.

This image is same as mine but in a mirror image. all the port side is on the starboard in my boat.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2013
repair it all

Interesting Denise...

Mine is a 1978 and quite different. Galley is to port. Under settees empty cavities except for a seacock to port to supply water to head and air conditioning.

Think I found a good holding tank from Ronco with their help. It will fit under cabinet in head where sink is and capacity will be increased to 11 gallons.

I have no idea how many gallons of water the tank holds under the vee berth but it takes the entire area and is really quite nice as it seems to be endless in supply filled up every few months.
Old 08-13-2013
repair it all

fresh water tank under v berth is factory original...
Old 08-14-2013
Lies about her age

Guess they made a few changes over the years of production Rusty. My baby is an 82 encapsulated fin keel to I know the center boarders had a different lay out. too.

my current "project"!
Old 08-17-2013

Flfishindude is on a distinguished road

Our 31 has what appears to be a 15 gal holding tank under the v berth and the fresh water tank under the bench on the starboard side. Since we converted to an electric head, the holding tank fills quickly. Would like a larger one but don't know where we would put it.